COVID-19 Prompts PETA Call for Marquette University to Shut Down Animal Labs
Experimenters Told to Stop Breeding Animals as Part of COVID-19 Response Plan
Milwaukee — Because of the COVID-19 outbreak, Marquette University has instructed its experimenters to identify “[i]rreplaceable animals,” stop or reduce “[b]reeding,” and cease “[a]ll ordering of new animals,” which will likely lead to the killing of hundreds or more animals.
PETA fired off a letter this week to the university’s president, Michael R. Lovell, demanding to know why the school conducts noncritical animal experiments. The group is also asking the public to e-mail the university via this action alert to urge it to be transparent regarding how many animals it deems nonessential and euthanizes in response to COVID-19 and to stop all current and new animal experiments.
Numerous published studies have shown that animal experimentation wastes resources and lives, as more than 90% of highly promising results from basic scientific research—much of it involving animal experimentation—fail to lead to treatments for humans. (Please read under “Lack of benefit for humans” here.) And 95% of new medications that are found to be effective in animals fail in human clinical trials.
PETA’s letter to the university is available here.
- Statement from the Milwaukee Health Department - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Mar 2nd, 2021
- Marquette Plans In-Person Classes in Fall - Graham Kilmer - Mar 2nd, 2021
- WI Daily: 308 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Mar 1st, 2021
- Wisconsin Anticipates First Shipment of Johnson & Johnson Vaccine - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Mar 1st, 2021
- Marquette University announces in-person plans for fall 2021 semester - Marquette University - Mar 1st, 2021
- Dane County Drops Most Fines Against Dance Studio - Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty - Mar 1st, 2021
- Back in the News: Uline Workers Suffer Higher COVID-19 Rates - Bruce Murphy - Mar 1st, 2021
- Groups Now Eligible for the COVID-19 Vaccine - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Mar 1st, 2021
- WI Daily: 464 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 28th, 2021
- WI Daily: 689 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 27th, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals
Joe Loduha Rushed Into a Burning Home to Save a Stranger's Dog