Beardsley For Congress response to Police Reform remarks by Congressman Glenn Grothman. Wisconsin’s 6th Congressional District
Oshkosh, WI – June 26th, 2020
Disgusted. Disgusted is the only way that I can describe yet another divisive and partisan misrepresentation of the hearts of the people of Wisconsin’s 6th Congressional district by Rep. Glenn Grothman. His statement that any proposed reform is an effort to “make white people feel guilty and not like America” is preposterous. The people of the 6th Congressional district want equitable treatment under the law for everyone and understand that reforming the current state of law enforcement benefits everyone, including law enforcement personnel. If Rep. Grothman can acknowledge that there a racial disparities in how victims are treated by the media and public, as he states that white victims of police brutality do not receive enough attention, then his own statements would seem to acknowledge the very inequitable treatment that we are trying to eliminate. Citizens are being treated unfairly, period. And that must end immediately, period.
Every citizen of every race, creed, nationality, gender identity, religion or ethnic origin has an inalienable right to fair treatment under the law. I fully support the George Floyd Act for that reason.
Rep. Grothman accused those criticizing the state of law enforcement across the country today as attempting to “racialize” the issue. Unfortunately, the issue needs no further “racialization”. Our nation, state and local communities have witnessed the inequality of our justice system firsthand for generations and have risen, collectively, to say that this injustice must end, here and now. Ending Qualified Immunity is not a strike at police officers, but a move towards greater justice for all.
People for Beardsley
- Op Ed: Chauvin Verdict Offers Glimmer of Hope - Angela Lang and Milwaukee BLOC Team - Apr 25th, 2021
- Protesters Rally After Chauvin Verdict - Graham Kilmer - Apr 21st, 2021
- Supervisor Taylor Statement on Derek Chauvin Guilty Verdict - Sup. Sequanna Taylor - Apr 21st, 2021
- Accountability should not be such a rare commodity - Ald. Milele Coggs - Apr 21st, 2021
- Statement on the verdict in the Derek Chauvin trial - Ald. Chantia Lewis - Apr 20th, 2021
- Statement from Milwaukee Police Department on Derek Chauvin Verdict - Milwaukee Police Department - Apr 20th, 2021
- Live Stream From Justice 4 George Floyd Rally - Urban Milwaukee - Apr 20th, 2021
- Gov. Evers Releases Statement on Verdict in Chauvin Trial - Gov. Tony Evers - Apr 20th, 2021
- County Executive David Crowley Statement on Derek Chauvin Trial Verdict - County Executive David Crowley - Apr 20th, 2021
- Sheriff Earnell R. Lucas Statement on the Verdicts in the Chauvin Trial - Earnell Lucas - Apr 20th, 2021
Read more about 2020 Racial Justice Protests here
Recent Press Releases by Michael Beardsley
Michael Beardsley for Congress receives endorsement from Our Wisconsin Revolution for Wisconsin’s 6th Congressional DistrictJul 3rd, 2020 by Michael Beardsley
Michael Beardsley, Democratic Candidate for US House of Representatives. Wisconsin's 6th Congressional District