Saint John’s on the Lake Completes Expansion Project
Construction is done, Prospect Avenue is fully open.
Saint John’s on the Lake, the “enriched retirement living” complex on Milwaukee’s Lower East Side, celebrated completion of its $123 million expansion project on March 30th with a virtual ribbon cutting.
The new, 22-story North Tower was completed in early 2020, but much of the past year was spent demolishing a three-story connector building from 1979 and replacing it with a new four-story structure.
The non-profit provider of senior housing and licensed-care now has a northern bookend to its campus, 1840 N. Prospect Ave. The new building joins the ten-story Central Tower (formerly North Tower, completed in 1979) and the 21-story South Tower (completed in 2011).
The conclusion of construction is no doubt welcomed by residents of the complex and East Siders alike. N. Prospect Ave., the north-bound one-way street, has two motor vehicle lanes and a bike lane for the first time in three years.
The new tower sits on the site of what was most recently an employee parking lot. Before that it was the site of an apartment building known as the Benjamin Flats that itself replaced a mansion. If you go all the way back to the 1860s, the site was used as a Civil War camp.
To replace the lost parking, Saint John’s purchased a Farwell Avenue building in 2019 with 50 surface parking stalls. Once North Tower was completed, it began demolition on the structure intending to eventually use the whole site as a surface parking lot.