DNC, NAACP Intervene In Trump Election Lawsuit
Federal judge allows them to contest suit seeking to invalidate Wisconsin's election.
A U.S. District Court Judge has granted the Democratic National Committee (DNC) and the Wisconsin State Conference NAACP the ability to “intervene” in a federal lawsuit President Donald J. Trump has brought against the Wisconsin Elections Commission (WEC).
The granting of a motion to intervene in a case like this is not uncommon.
In many lawsuits brought by the Trump campaign and its allies seeking to invalidate the results of the 2020 election, they have proposed sending the matter to the legislature or even having the legislature disregard the outcome of the vote and select the electors for the state.
The DNC and the NAACP argued in motions to intervene that they have a substantial interest at stake in the case that will be affected by its outcome. Namely, the election of Democratic candidates Joe Biden and Kamala Harris to the offices of president and vice-president respectively, and the potential disenfranchisement of thousands of voters.
Federal Judge Brett H. Ludwig found that the DNC and NAACP had proven they had enough interest in the legal questions and outcome to intervene. Also, they successfully argued that the defendants, the WEC and a number of election officials, had different objectives in the case, because the state is strictly interested in defending the actions of state elections officials.
As Urban Milwaukee reported, the suit incorrectly confuses municipalities and counties and which state and local officials are even involved in the election process.
You can read the judicial order granting intervention here.
Having trouble keeping them all straight? Cases are listed in the order filed.
- Wisconsin Voters Alliance petition – rejected by the Wisconsin Supreme Court
- Mueller dropbox petition – rejected by Wisconsin Supreme Court
- Trump campaign Wisconsin Supreme Court petition – rejected by Wisconsin Supreme Court
- Sidney Powell “massive election fraud” federal petition – pending
- Trump campaign federal suit – pending – DNC and NAACP granted the right to intervene in this case
- Trump Milwaukee County suit – newly filed
- Trump Dane County suit – merged into Milwaukee suit
- Paxton motion – newly filed
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- Judge Lifts Contempt Order for Speaker Vos - Rich Kremer - Jun 24th, 2022
- Gableman’s Office Held in Contempt of Court - Madeline Fox - Jun 10th, 2022
- Murphy’s Law: The Bradley Foundation’s Election Deniers - Bruce Murphy - Jun 7th, 2022
- The State of Politics: ‘Telling The Truth’ Led to Knudson Resignation - Steven Walters - Jun 6th, 2022
- Gableman Election Review $220,500 Over Budget - Henry Redman - Jun 2nd, 2022
- Another Judge Rejects Challenge to 2020 Election Grants - Shawn Johnson - Jun 1st, 2022
- Gathering To Spread the Big Lie - Henry Redman - May 25th, 2022
- Judge May Fine Vos in Gableman Open Records Case - Shawn Johnson - May 20th, 2022
- Democrats File Suit Against State Republicans Who Posed As Electors - Shawn Johnson - May 17th, 2022
- Gableman Review Paused, But His Pay Continues - Henry Redman - May 12th, 2022
Read more about 2020 General Election here
- Op Ed: Hold Wisconsin’s Fraudulent Electors Accountable - Jeffrey Mandell - Jan 6th, 2022
- Data Wonk: How Fox Spread Lies About State’s Election - Bruce Thompson - Mar 31st, 2021
- ‘Kraken’ Lawsuits Not Based on Facts - Graham Kilmer - Mar 23rd, 2021
- Supreme Court Brushes Off Trump Election Challenge - Graham Kilmer - Mar 8th, 2021
- U.S. Supreme Court Rejects Wisconsin ‘Kraken’ Suit - Graham Kilmer - Mar 1st, 2021
- Data Wonk: High Court Minority Embarrasses Itself - Bruce Thompson - Feb 24th, 2021
- Supreme Court Denies Trump’s Wisconsin Election Lawsuit - Graham Kilmer - Feb 22nd, 2021
- Data Wonk: With Donald Trump It’s Never Over - Bruce Thompson - Feb 17th, 2021
- Federal Judge Tears Apart Election Lawsuit - Graham Kilmer - Jan 4th, 2021
- Op Ed: Hagedorn Wisconsin’s Person of The Year - John Torinus - Dec 30th, 2020
Read more about Trump's Election Lawsuits here