DNC, NAACP Intervene In Trump Election Lawsuit
Federal judge allows them to contest suit seeking to invalidate Wisconsin's election.
A U.S. District Court Judge has granted the Democratic National Committee (DNC) and the Wisconsin State Conference NAACP the ability to “intervene” in a federal lawsuit President Donald J. Trump has brought against the Wisconsin Elections Commission (WEC).
The granting of a motion to intervene in a case like this is not uncommon.
In many lawsuits brought by the Trump campaign and its allies seeking to invalidate the results of the 2020 election, they have proposed sending the matter to the legislature or even having the legislature disregard the outcome of the vote and select the electors for the state.
The DNC and the NAACP argued in motions to intervene that they have a substantial interest at stake in the case that will be affected by its outcome. Namely, the election of Democratic candidates Joe Biden and Kamala Harris to the offices of president and vice-president respectively, and the potential disenfranchisement of thousands of voters.
Federal Judge Brett H. Ludwig found that the DNC and NAACP had proven they had enough interest in the legal questions and outcome to intervene. Also, they successfully argued that the defendants, the WEC and a number of election officials, had different objectives in the case, because the state is strictly interested in defending the actions of state elections officials.
As Urban Milwaukee reported, the suit incorrectly confuses municipalities and counties and which state and local officials are even involved in the election process.
You can read the judicial order granting intervention here.
Having trouble keeping them all straight? Cases are listed in the order filed.
- Wisconsin Voters Alliance petition – rejected by the Wisconsin Supreme Court
- Mueller dropbox petition – rejected by Wisconsin Supreme Court
- Trump campaign Wisconsin Supreme Court petition – rejected by Wisconsin Supreme Court
- Sidney Powell “massive election fraud” federal petition – pending
- Trump campaign federal suit – pending – DNC and NAACP granted the right to intervene in this case
- Trump Milwaukee County suit – newly filed
- Trump Dane County suit – merged into Milwaukee suit
- Paxton motion – newly filed
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- GOP State Legislators Asked Pence Not Certify Election - Melanie Conklin - Jan 14th, 2021
- Rep. Hintz: Condemns Republican Legislators’ Lies and Dangerous Rhetoric - State Rep. Gordon Hintz - Jan 14th, 2021
- Tiffany, Fitzgerald Object To Some Biden Electors - Shawn Johnson - Jan 7th, 2021
- Sen. Baldwin: “It’s Disgraceful” - Urban Milwaukee - Jan 6th, 2021
- Rep Moore Blames Trump for Today’s Chaos - Urban Milwaukee - Jan 6th, 2021
- Rep. Gallagher: “We are witnessing absolute banana republic crap in the United States Capitol right now” - Urban Milwaukee - Jan 6th, 2021
- Back in the News: Cleta Mitchell Resigns from Foley Firm - Bruce Murphy - Jan 5th, 2021
- Gallagher Assails GOP Push to Nullify Election - Rob Mentzer - Jan 5th, 2021
- Back in the News: Foley Firm Faces Blowback on Trump Call - Bruce Murphy - Jan 5th, 2021
- Johnson Discusses Election Integrity, Electoral Commission on Fox News - U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson - Jan 5th, 2021
Read more about 2020 General Election here
- Federal Judge Tears Apart Election Lawsuit - Graham Kilmer - Jan 4th, 2021
- Op Ed: Hagedorn Wisconsin’s Person of The Year - John Torinus - Dec 30th, 2020
- Trump Asks U.S. Supreme Court to Overturn Wisconsin’s Election - Graham Kilmer - Dec 29th, 2020
- Trump campaign: Takes Wisconsin constitutional fight to Supreme Court - Donald Trump - Dec 29th, 2020
- Wisconsin Republicans Join New Federal Election Lawsuit - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 23rd, 2020
- Justices Face Anti-Semitic, Misogynist Attacks After Trump Ruling - Ruth Conniff - Dec 18th, 2020
- Ron Johnson Parrots Trump’s Rejected Legal Arguments - Shawn Johnson - Dec 17th, 2020
- Murphy’s Law: Why Republicans Won’t End Election Complaints - Bruce Murphy - Dec 14th, 2020
- Statement of Republican Electors Meeting - Republican Party of Wisconsin - Dec 14th, 2020
- AG Kaul Issues Statement on Wisconsin Supreme Court Ruling on the Challenge to Wisconsin’s Election Results - Josh Kaul - Dec 14th, 2020
Read more about Trump's Election Lawsuits here