Trump Allies Sue To Throw Out Wisconsin Election
Suit would overturn results before recount even done and have Legislature choose electors.
The petition takes issue with 156,807 Wisconsin votes, of which it says some are illegal votes counted and others are legal votes not yet counted.
The majority of the votes, 96,437, are from voters that declared themselves “indefinitely confined.” The lawsuit says they are not. The petition says the voters were able to use the declaration to bypass the state’s voter identification requirement and request an absentee ballot.
A remedy proposed under the suit is to have the Republican-controlled Wisconsin State Legislature pick the state’s Electoral College electors.
The Wisconsin Elections Commission is scheduled to certify the results on December 1st, following the completion of recounts of Milwaukee and Dane counties. The Trump campaign wired the state $3 million to cover the estimated cost of that work.
The suit issues the same three challenges the Trump campaign has used to challenge approximately 160,000 absentee ballots in Milwaukee County alone – improperly declared indefinitely confined voters, clerks completing addresses on witness signatures (mismatched ink) and in-person absentee ballots that don’t have a separate application.
In each case, the Milwaukee County Election Commission has said the municipal clerks and voters complied with the law and Wisconsin Elections Commission guidance. A similar process is playing out in Dane County during its recount.
The petition was filed on behalf of the Wisconsin Voters Alliance and over a dozen individual Wisconsin voters.
The petition was filed by attorneys Erick Kaardal, special counsel to Amistad Project of the Thomas More Society and Gregory M. Erickson. Kaardal was a member of the legal team that unsuccessfully sought to have Kanye West placed on the ballot.
The petition also objects to an approximately $6 million grant by Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg to five Wisconsin cities to support executing an election during the pandemic. The petition alleges that the cities did not have standing to accept the funds. A court challenges to this funding has previously been defeated.
For more on the arguments surrounding the absentee envelope challenges, see our coverage from Monday.
A full copy of the petition can be found on Urban Milwaukee.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- Data Wonk: New Voters Won the 2020 Election - Bruce Thompson - Jan 20th, 2021
- GOP State Legislators Asked Pence to Not Certify Election - Melanie Conklin - Jan 14th, 2021
- Rep. Hintz: Condemns Republican Legislators’ Lies and Dangerous Rhetoric - State Rep. Gordon Hintz - Jan 14th, 2021
- Tiffany, Fitzgerald Object To Some Biden Electors - Shawn Johnson - Jan 7th, 2021
- Sen. Baldwin: “It’s Disgraceful” - Urban Milwaukee - Jan 6th, 2021
- Rep Moore Blames Trump for Today’s Chaos - Urban Milwaukee - Jan 6th, 2021
- Rep. Gallagher: “We are witnessing absolute banana republic crap in the United States Capitol right now” - Urban Milwaukee - Jan 6th, 2021
- Back in the News: Cleta Mitchell Resigns from Foley Firm - Bruce Murphy - Jan 5th, 2021
- Gallagher Assails GOP Push to Nullify Election - Rob Mentzer - Jan 5th, 2021
- Back in the News: Foley Firm Faces Blowback on Trump Call - Bruce Murphy - Jan 5th, 2021
Read more about 2020 General Election here
- Federal Judge Tears Apart Election Lawsuit - Graham Kilmer - Jan 4th, 2021
- Op Ed: Hagedorn Wisconsin’s Person of The Year - John Torinus - Dec 30th, 2020
- Trump Asks U.S. Supreme Court to Overturn Wisconsin’s Election - Graham Kilmer - Dec 29th, 2020
- Trump campaign: Takes Wisconsin constitutional fight to Supreme Court - Donald Trump - Dec 29th, 2020
- Wisconsin Republicans Join New Federal Election Lawsuit - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 23rd, 2020
- Justices Face Anti-Semitic, Misogynist Attacks After Trump Ruling - Ruth Conniff - Dec 18th, 2020
- Ron Johnson Parrots Trump’s Rejected Legal Arguments - Shawn Johnson - Dec 17th, 2020
- Murphy’s Law: Why Republicans Won’t End Election Complaints - Bruce Murphy - Dec 14th, 2020
- Statement of Republican Electors Meeting - Republican Party of Wisconsin - Dec 14th, 2020
- AG Kaul Issues Statement on Wisconsin Supreme Court Ruling on the Challenge to Wisconsin’s Election Results - Josh Kaul - Dec 14th, 2020
Read more about Trump's Election Lawsuits here