Trump Allies Sue To Throw Out Wisconsin Election
Suit would overturn results before recount even done and have Legislature choose electors.
The petition takes issue with 156,807 Wisconsin votes, of which it says some are illegal votes counted and others are legal votes not yet counted.
The majority of the votes, 96,437, are from voters that declared themselves “indefinitely confined.” The lawsuit says they are not. The petition says the voters were able to use the declaration to bypass the state’s voter identification requirement and request an absentee ballot.
A remedy proposed under the suit is to have the Republican-controlled Wisconsin State Legislature pick the state’s Electoral College electors.
The Wisconsin Elections Commission is scheduled to certify the results on December 1st, following the completion of recounts of Milwaukee and Dane counties. The Trump campaign wired the state $3 million to cover the estimated cost of that work.
The suit issues the same three challenges the Trump campaign has used to challenge approximately 160,000 absentee ballots in Milwaukee County alone – improperly declared indefinitely confined voters, clerks completing addresses on witness signatures (mismatched ink) and in-person absentee ballots that don’t have a separate application.
In each case, the Milwaukee County Election Commission has said the municipal clerks and voters complied with the law and Wisconsin Elections Commission guidance. A similar process is playing out in Dane County during its recount.
The petition was filed on behalf of the Wisconsin Voters Alliance and over a dozen individual Wisconsin voters.
The petition was filed by attorneys Erick Kaardal, special counsel to Amistad Project of the Thomas More Society and Gregory M. Erickson. Kaardal was a member of the legal team that unsuccessfully sought to have Kanye West placed on the ballot.
The petition also objects to an approximately $6 million grant by Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg to five Wisconsin cities to support executing an election during the pandemic. The petition alleges that the cities did not have standing to accept the funds. A court challenges to this funding has previously been defeated.
For more on the arguments surrounding the absentee envelope challenges, see our coverage from Monday.
A full copy of the petition can be found on Urban Milwaukee.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- Vos Backtracks on Election Audit - Melanie Conklin - Jul 31st, 2021
- Statement on Recent Election Misinformation - Wisconsin Elections Commission - Jul 27th, 2021
- State Elections Chair Wants Arizona-Style Audit - Melanie Conklin - Jul 27th, 2021
- Data Wonk: The Private Election Grants Didn’t Help Biden - Bruce Thompson - Jun 16th, 2021
- Murphy’s Law: How Vos Pushes The Big Lie - Bruce Murphy - Jun 1st, 2021
- Hesselbein Votes No to Republican Private Investigators - State Rep. Dianne Hesselbein - May 28th, 2021
- Robin Vos Wasting Taxpayer Resources To Investigate Non-Existent Voter Fraud - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - May 26th, 2021
- Elections Commission to Discuss Suspected Voter Fraud Reports for 2020 and 2021 Elections - Wisconsin Elections Commission - May 24th, 2021
- Murphy’s Law: The Vanishing Courage of Mike Gallagher - Bruce Murphy - May 11th, 2021
- Op Ed: Liz Cheney’s Profile In Courage - Dave Cieslewicz - May 9th, 2021
Read more about 2020 General Election here
- Data Wonk: How Fox Spread Lies About State’s Election - Bruce Thompson - Mar 31st, 2021
- ‘Kraken’ Lawsuits Not Based on Facts - Graham Kilmer - Mar 23rd, 2021
- Supreme Court Brushes Off Trump Election Challenge - Graham Kilmer - Mar 8th, 2021
- U.S. Supreme Court Rejects Wisconsin ‘Kraken’ Suit - Graham Kilmer - Mar 1st, 2021
- Data Wonk: High Court Minority Embarrasses Itself - Bruce Thompson - Feb 24th, 2021
- Supreme Court Denies Trump’s Wisconsin Election Lawsuit - Graham Kilmer - Feb 22nd, 2021
- Data Wonk: With Donald Trump It’s Never Over - Bruce Thompson - Feb 17th, 2021
- Federal Judge Tears Apart Election Lawsuit - Graham Kilmer - Jan 4th, 2021
- Op Ed: Hagedorn Wisconsin’s Person of The Year - John Torinus - Dec 30th, 2020
- Trump Asks U.S. Supreme Court to Overturn Wisconsin’s Election - Graham Kilmer - Dec 29th, 2020
Read more about Trump's Election Lawsuits here