Trump Campaign Pays For Recount in Milwaukee, Dane Counties
Campaign wires $3 million. Work must be completed by December 1st.
The state’s two most populous counties went overwhelmingly for Joe Biden in the November 3rd election.
In a press release the Trump campaign cited “illegally altered absentee ballots, illegally issued absentee ballots and illegal advice given by government officials allowing Wisconsin’s Voter ID laws to be circumvented” without providing evidence.
Biden currently has a 20,608 vote lead under the final canvass results. That includes leading Trump by 182,913 votes in Milwaukee County (317,270 to 134,357) and 181,385 votes in Dane County (260,157 to 78,800).
Any campaign that has a margin of one percent or less in Wisconsin has until 5 p.m. Wednesday to pay for a recount. A statewide recount would require a $7.9 million deposit.
The figure was calculated by combining estimates provided by the state’s 72 county clerks and a $30,000 expected cost for the Elections Commission. County clerks would oversee the recount, if one should happen.
Milwaukee County’s estimate is $2 million and Dane County estimated its cost at $740,000. Any excess funds are to be returned to the campaign.
City of Milwaukee Election Commission Executive Director Claire Woodall-Vogg said Monday that she was confident the city’s processes would withstand scrutiny. “A recount will just confirm that, just like it did in 2016,” she told a Common Council committee. “All of our processes were open and transparent and there were plenty of observers at any time.”
Woodall-Vogg said the recount would take 13 days, with work starting Friday and running through the weekend. “The only day off would be Thanksgiving,” she said.
The Milwaukee County Election Commission plans to execute the recount at the Wisconsin Center. Each municipality would participate.
The work must be completed by December 1st.
The Green Party paid for a 2016 recount which resulted in a net gain of 131 votes for Trump. The effort cost approximately $2 million.
The Trump campaign did not target Menominee County for a recount, where Biden secured his largest margin. Biden leads in the county 1,303 to 278.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- Murphy’s Law: The Vanishing Courage of Mike Gallagher - Bruce Murphy - May 11th, 2021
- Op Ed: Liz Cheney’s Profile In Courage - Dave Cieslewicz - May 9th, 2021
- Spindell Gets Second Term on Elections Commission - Henry Redman - Apr 30th, 2021
- A Tale of Two Elections - Melanie Conklin - Apr 26th, 2021
- Elections Commission Head Saw No Problems in Green Bay - Megan Hart - Mar 31st, 2021
- ‘Kraken’ Lawsuits Not Based on Facts - Graham Kilmer - Mar 23rd, 2021
- Republicans Attack Zuckerberg Election Grants Again - Shawn Johnson - Mar 11th, 2021
- Supreme Court Brushes Off Trump Election Challenge - Graham Kilmer - Mar 8th, 2021
- U.S. Supreme Court Rejects Wisconsin ‘Kraken’ Suit - Graham Kilmer - Mar 1st, 2021
- Op Ed: Waukesha Republicans’ Pillow Paranoia - James Wigderson - Feb 25th, 2021
Read more about 2020 General Election here
- Legislature Refuses to Change Absentee Vote Counting Law - Nora Eckert - Dec 5th, 2020
- Supervisor Martin Thanks Election Commission for Successfully Completing the Recount - Sup. Felesia Martin - Dec 2nd, 2020
- State Elections Commission Gets Testy - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 1st, 2020
- State Declares Biden Won Election - Graham Kilmer - Nov 30th, 2020
- Recount Reaffirms that Wisconsin Voters Picked Joe Biden - A Better Wisconsin Together - Nov 30th, 2020
- AG Kaul Issues Statement on Completion of Partial Recount in Wisconsin - Josh Kaul - Nov 30th, 2020
- Wisconsin Recount Grows Biden’s Margin, But Trump Says Fight Isn’t Over - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 29th, 2020
- Trump Promises Lawsuit Challenging Wisconsin Election Results - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 29th, 2020
- Milwaukee County Completes Recount - George Christenson - Nov 27th, 2020
- Milwaukee County Recount Finished, Dane County Continuing - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 27th, 2020
Read more about Presidential Recount here