The Hop Now Wears a Mask
"Spread the word, not the virus" is message in new rolling mask billboard.
The Mask Up MKE campaign gained a rolling billboard on Tuesday.
One of The Hop’s streetcar vehicles now has a marketing wrap that features a mask on the front of the vehicle and a message that says “spread the word, not the virus.”
“Five months ago our nation had a severe shortage of masks, and Rebel Converting realized it could donate our material to produce millions of masks,” said Loretta Kryshak of Rebel Converting at a press conference to unveil the vehicle. The company has now given away 3.5 million masks.
Municipal judge Derek Mosley is one of four people pictured on the side of the streetcar wearing a mask. Mosley was on a ventilator in March and early April fighting COVID-19, an experience he said he doesn’t want anyone else to undergo.
Mosley said it took until August for his breathing to get back to “normal,” but he still fears the potential longterm health effects of the disease including organ failure. Mosley received a kidney transplant in 2016.
The number of new cases and percentage of tests confirming a positive case of the disease in Milwaukee have slowed in recent weeks, but still remain above the state average. “We attribute many of the gains being made to wearing masks,” said Health Commissioner Jeanette Kowalik. The city’s mask mandate went into effect July 16th.
“We are truly making a difference and saving lives,” said Mayor Tom Barrett.
But announcing a public health campaign wasn’t what Barrett anticipated doing on the second day of the Democratic National Convention. “We had pictured our streetcars being jam-packed with convention-goers this week,” said the mayor.
Ridership on the system in June, the last month for which ridership is posted, is down 80 percent from 2019. The city’s mask ordinance requires riders of the system to wear a mask.
The United Way of Greater Milwaukee, represented at the press conference by Nicole Angresano, is covering the costs of the vehicle wrap. Free masks will be provided for riders from dispensers onboard.
Rebel Converting normally uses the mask material to manufacture hospital-grade disinfecting wipes.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- WI Daily: 324 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Mar 2nd, 2021
- 34 Vaccine Doses Spoil at Wisconsin Center - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 2nd, 2021
- 8.7% of State Now Fully Vaccinated - Graham Kilmer - Mar 2nd, 2021
- Statement from the Milwaukee Health Department - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Mar 2nd, 2021
- Select Kroger Stores Take Part in Federal Retail Pharmacy Program - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Mar 2nd, 2021
- Marquette Plans In-Person Classes in Fall - Graham Kilmer - Mar 2nd, 2021
- WI Daily: 308 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Mar 1st, 2021
- Wisconsin Anticipates First Shipment of Johnson & Johnson Vaccine - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Mar 1st, 2021
- Marquette University announces in-person plans for fall 2021 semester - Marquette University - Mar 1st, 2021
- Dane County Drops Most Fines Against Dance Studio - Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty - Mar 1st, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
For more project details, including the project timeline, financing, route and possible extensions, see our extensive past coverage.
- Plats and Parcels: Lakefront Streetcar Extension Scheduled for June 2022 Opening - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 6th, 2020
- Transportation: Should Milwaukee Stop The Hop? - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 13th, 2020
- Transportation: The Hop Now Wears a Mask - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 18th, 2020
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Is A Couture Deal Finally Coming? - Jeramey Jannene - May 13th, 2020
- Transportation: SUV Driver Runs Into The Hop - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 28th, 2020
- Transportation: Streetcar Kiosks Could Bring In $500,000 Annually - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 20th, 2020
- Thanks A Million, Hop Riders! - The Hop - Feb 19th, 2020
- Transportation: We Energies Will Sponsor Streetcar - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 10th, 2020
- Transportation: Streetcar Ridership Up in January Versus 2019 - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 7th, 2020
- Transportation: Streetcar Ridership Up in December - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 14th, 2020
Read more about Milwaukee Streetcar here