Kanye West’s Nomination Papers Challenged
Complainants argue his nomination papers are filled with errors and were turned in late.
Multiple complaints filed Friday argue rapper Kanye West failed to meet key requirements to get on Wisconsin’s presidential ballot, listing an incorrect address for himself and incomplete addresses for petition circulators while turning in his nomination papers late.
Both complaints argue the mistakes are enough to disqualify West’s nomination papers, a move that could prove consequential in swing state Wisconsin, where President Donald Trump won by fewer than 23,000 votes in 2016.
While West is running as an independent candidate, Republicans have helped his efforts to get on Wisconsin’s presidential ballot. West, who has previously supported President Trump, has acknowledged that his candidacy could pull Black votes away from Democrat Joe Biden.
The second complaint, filed by Milwaukee residents William Brent, Keith Smith and Lauren Steven, as well as Oshkosh resident Richard Hughes, contends West’s circulators lied to some voters in order to get them to sign the petitions.
It also argues several signatures are illegible and some are fraudulent. For example, the petitions included the names “Mickey Mouse” and “Bernie Sanders,” not to mention two instances of “Kanye West.”
Both complaints also argue that the people circulating Wests signatures failed to list their full or home addresses in many instances, which is required by law. That would be enough to strike 1,517 signatures according to the second complaint.
Both complaints were filed Friday afternoon shortly before a 4:30 p.m. deadline for challenges. West’s campaign will have until 4:30 p.m. Monday to respond.
Staff at the Wisconsin Elections Commission will eventually issue a recommendation on whether to accept West’s signatures. The six appointed members who run the commission will meet within the next couple weeks to make a final decision.
Challenges Argue Kanye West Filed Petitions Late, Should Be Barred From Wisconsin Presidential Ballot was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
- Wisconsin Judge Denies Kanye West’s Bid to be on Presidential Ballot - Shawn Johnson - Sep 12th, 2020
- Kanye West Booted From Wisconsin Ballot - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 20th, 2020
- Election Staff Recommends Denying West’s Presidential Run - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 19th, 2020
- Does Kanye West Live in Cody, Wyoming? - Melanie Conklin - Aug 11th, 2020
- Kanye West Nomination Papers Too Late? - Shawn Johnson - Aug 11th, 2020
- Kanye West’s Nomination Papers Challenged - Shawn Johnson - Aug 8th, 2020
- Black Elected Officials Slam GOP, Kanye West - Graham Kilmer - Aug 6th, 2020
- Republican Attorney Files Kanye West’s Nomination Papers - Shawn Johnson - Aug 5th, 2020
Read more about Kanye West Campaign here