Tavern League Wants May 1 Reopening
Lobbying group wants Evers to allow bars and restaurants to open then, with restrictions.
“On May 26th, when the current Stay at Home Order ends, the challenges facing Wisconsin in fighting the coronavirus will essentially be the same as they are today, with no vaccine available,” said Tavern League president Chris Marsicano in a statement.
“Let’s work together to reopen Wisconsin’s taverns, restaurants and supper clubs while taking the important steps to protect the safety of employees and customers,” said Marsicano.
Under the existing “Safer at Home” order bars and restaurants are allowed to offer carryout and delivery, but state law prevents alcohol from being delivered or sold to-go outside of its original packaging. The order has effectively shuttered bars that don’t offer food or sell factory-sealed bottles and cans of alcohol.
Marsicano is concerned that without action many establishments will be forced out of business. “According to experts, a vaccine will not be widely available for 12 to 18 months. Wisconsinites cannot live under a Stay at Home Order for the next 12 to 18 months,” he said.
In extending the “Safer at Home” order, the state did relax some guidelines including allowing people to golf with restrictions and permitting curbside library service. Evers said the order could be ended when testing capacity increases, contact tracing capabilities are expanded, sufficient personal protective equipment (PPE) is available and the case rate drops.
But even if Evers grants the Tavern League’s request, another issue looms. Will customers want to dine inside a restaurant or belly up to the bar?
One bar and restaurant owner, Dan Zierath, thinks the answer is yes. He announced his intent to open Jackson’s Blue Ribbon Pub in Wauwatosa on May 1st in defiance of the state order. His own family and an attorney oppose the decision.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- State Creates 4 Community Vaccine Clinics - Megan Hart - Feb 24th, 2021
- State Vaccination Rate Increasing - Graham Kilmer - Feb 24th, 2021
- Wisconsin’s Emergency Powers Laws in Urgent Need of Reform - Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty - Feb 24th, 2021
- Souls to the Polls Urges Sen. Johnson to Vote ‘Yes’ on COVID-19 Relief Bill in the U.S. Senate - Souls to the Polls Milwaukee - Feb 24th, 2021
- WI Daily: 566 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 23rd, 2021
- Gov. Evers Orders Flags to Half-Staff to Honor the More Than 6,300 Wisconsinites and 500,000 Americans Lost to COVID-19 - Gov. Tony Evers - Feb 23rd, 2021
- WI Daily: 423 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 22nd, 2021
- Supervisor Goodwin Calls on Legislature and Governor Evers to Enact Wisconsin Stimulus Package - Sup. Shawn Rolland - Feb 22nd, 2021
- WI Daily: 403 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 21st, 2021
- WI Daily: 676 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 20th, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here