New Mural Honors Healthcare Workers
Mauricio Ramirez paints "Frontline Heroes" on building at 6th and Lincoln.
A new southside mural, “Frontline Heroes,” from artist Mauricio Ramirez is designed as a tribute to healthcare workers and as a message of positivity to all during the COVID-19 pandemic.
“I hope to have people take away that we need to champion our healthcare workers as they battle on the frontlines,” said Ramirez in an interview.
The mural, located at the intersection of S. 6th St. and W. Lincoln Ave. across from the Basilica of Saint Josaphat, depicts a masked healthcare worker with their hands clasped in prayer.
Located on the east wall of a two-story commercial building at 600 W. Lincoln Ave., “Frontline Heroes” is 15 feet tall and over 30 feet long. Spray painting the piece took over 16 hours he said.
Ramirez said he hopes healthcare workers across the world see it and can be proud of the work they’re doing. “This isn’t just a local mural, it’s a global mural,” he said.
If something about it seems familiar, trust your instincts. Ramirez has become a prolific artist and has a distinctive style that relies on geometric shapes. His biggest piece, a 5,000-square-foot piece known as “Heat and Sol,” can be seen on the side of Westown office building. He also repainted utility boxes on Wisconsin Avenue as part of Milwaukee Downtown’s 2017 effort to turn the bland boxes into canvases for art. Just in Milwaukee he has murals in Bay View, Historic Mitchell Street, Walker’s Point, the Lower East Side and the Crisol Corridor. He also has murals in a growing number of other cities, including New York, Chicago and Baltimore.
View this post on Instagram
Here’s a time-lapse that my cousin Alex documented while I was painting a mural in Milwaukee, WI. The mural is a tribute to all of our health care workers that are currently fighting this battle. My goal with this mural was to show love and appreciate our Frontline Heroes in the medical field. Be sure to thank a healthcare workers today. Time-lapse by: @lexwiththerecords Assisted by: @mazorcamke @heartbreaksandhennessy @armahnhammer Frontline Heroes 15ft x 30ft 600 W. Lincoln Avenue Milwaukee, WI 2020
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- State Creates 4 Community Vaccine Clinics - Megan Hart - Feb 24th, 2021
- State Vaccination Rate Increasing - Graham Kilmer - Feb 24th, 2021
- Wisconsin’s Emergency Powers Laws in Urgent Need of Reform - Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty - Feb 24th, 2021
- Souls to the Polls Urges Sen. Johnson to Vote ‘Yes’ on COVID-19 Relief Bill in the U.S. Senate - Souls to the Polls Milwaukee - Feb 24th, 2021
- WI Daily: 566 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 23rd, 2021
- Gov. Evers Orders Flags to Half-Staff to Honor the More Than 6,300 Wisconsinites and 500,000 Americans Lost to COVID-19 - Gov. Tony Evers - Feb 23rd, 2021
- WI Daily: 423 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 22nd, 2021
- Supervisor Goodwin Calls on Legislature and Governor Evers to Enact Wisconsin Stimulus Package - Sup. Shawn Rolland - Feb 22nd, 2021
- WI Daily: 403 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 21st, 2021
- WI Daily: 676 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 20th, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here