New Mural Honors Healthcare Workers
Mauricio Ramirez paints "Frontline Heroes" on building at 6th and Lincoln.
A new southside mural, “Frontline Heroes,” from artist Mauricio Ramirez is designed as a tribute to healthcare workers and as a message of positivity to all during the COVID-19 pandemic.
“I hope to have people take away that we need to champion our healthcare workers as they battle on the frontlines,” said Ramirez in an interview.
The mural, located at the intersection of S. 6th St. and W. Lincoln Ave. across from the Basilica of Saint Josaphat, depicts a masked healthcare worker with their hands clasped in prayer.
Located on the east wall of a two-story commercial building at 600 W. Lincoln Ave., “Frontline Heroes” is 15 feet tall and over 30 feet long. Spray painting the piece took over 16 hours he said.
Ramirez said he hopes healthcare workers across the world see it and can be proud of the work they’re doing. “This isn’t just a local mural, it’s a global mural,” he said.
If something about it seems familiar, trust your instincts. Ramirez has become a prolific artist and has a distinctive style that relies on geometric shapes. His biggest piece, a 5,000-square-foot piece known as “Heat and Sol,” can be seen on the side of Westown office building. He also repainted utility boxes on Wisconsin Avenue as part of Milwaukee Downtown’s 2017 effort to turn the bland boxes into canvases for art. Just in Milwaukee he has murals in Bay View, Historic Mitchell Street, Walker’s Point, the Lower East Side and the Crisol Corridor. He also has murals in a growing number of other cities, including New York, Chicago and Baltimore.
View this post on Instagram
Here’s a time-lapse that my cousin Alex documented while I was painting a mural in Milwaukee, WI. The mural is a tribute to all of our health care workers that are currently fighting this battle. My goal with this mural was to show love and appreciate our Frontline Heroes in the medical field. Be sure to thank a healthcare workers today. Time-lapse by: @lexwiththerecords Assisted by: @mazorcamke @heartbreaksandhennessy @armahnhammer Frontline Heroes 15ft x 30ft 600 W. Lincoln Avenue Milwaukee, WI 2020
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- Trump Directives Fall Flat in Wisconsin - Erik Gunn - Aug 12th, 2020
- For the sake of Wisconsin’s schools, state legislators urge U.S. Senate Delegation to pass the HEROES Act - State Sen. Chris Larson - Aug 12th, 2020
- Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs Receives Nursing Assistance from USDVA and WI National Guard - Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs - Aug 11th, 2020
- WI Daily: Over 1,000 Wisconsin Residents Have Died From COVID-19 - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 11th, 2020
- DPW Responds to 1,000 Wisconsinites Dying from COVID-19 - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Aug 11th, 2020
- Wisconsin COVID-19 Death Toll Surpasses 1,000 - Gov. Tony Evers - Aug 11th, 2020
- School Reopening Plans Get Failing Grades - Terry Falk - Aug 11th, 2020
- Universities Require COVID-19 Pledge - Rich Kremer - Aug 11th, 2020
- WI Daily: COVID-19 Hospitalizations Jump To 74-Day High - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 10th, 2020
- Wisconsinites Deserve to Know Where Our Elected Officials Stand on Donald Trump’s Executive Orders - A Better Wisconsin Together - Aug 10th, 2020
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here