GOP Asks Court to Restore Walker Appointees
Legislators want Appeals Court to force Evers to recognize 15 appointees the governor says were unlawful.
Lawmakers on Monday issued a formal request for the District III Court of Appeals in Wausau to enforce a stay, issued last week, in an ongoing case over December’s lame-duck session of the state Legislature.
The governor and GOP legislative leaders disagree over the power of the stay, with lawmakers contending it reinstates all 82 Walker appointments confirmed during the lame-duck session. Evers contends his action on the appointments stands.
In their request, GOP lawmakers’ lawyer, Misha Tseytlin, called Evers’ action an “affront to the court.”
“(The governor) is violating an explicit court order, and he is seeking to nullify appellate review over a significant portion of the circuit court’s decision,” the filing read.
Evers’ spokeswoman, Melissa Baldauff, was quick to push back.
“The governor’s actions were lawful and valid,” Baldauff said via email. “The governor has properly submitted nominations to the state Senate for confirmation and looks forward to prompt action to ensure these appointees can immediately get to work serving the people of Wisconsin.”
The appellate court has set deadlines later this month for briefings to be filed in the case, before arguments are heard. Republicans are pushing for quick action, as several lawsuits challenging the lame-duck session move forward.
Another circuit court ruling, issued last week, has blocked some of the laws passed during the lame-duck session. Republicans say they plan to appeal that ruling as well.
Listen to the WPR report here.
GOP Lawmakers Ask Court To Intervene In Walker Appointee Dispute was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
- Kaul Sues Legislature Over Lame Duck Laws - Melanie Conklin - Nov 24th, 2020
- AG Kaul Announces Legal Action to Allow DOJ to Again Enforce Wisconsin Laws Without Unconstitutional Legislative Interference - Josh Kaul - Nov 23rd, 2020
- Vos Thinks Lame-Duck Session Didn’t Go Far Enough - Melanie Conklin - Jul 31st, 2020
- The State of Politics: Court Rulings Against Evers Sow Confusion - Steven Walters - Jul 20th, 2020
- Court Tosses Dems’ Lame-Duck Suit - Laurel White - Jul 16th, 2020
- Op Ed: State High Court Nullifies 2018 Election - James Rowen - Jul 12th, 2020
- WI Supreme Court Upholds GOP Lame-Duck Laws - Laurel White - Jul 9th, 2020
- Gov. Evers Releases Statement on State Supreme Court’s Ruling on Lame Duck - Gov. Tony Evers - Jul 9th, 2020
- Lame Duck Supreme Court Upholds Lame Duck GOP Power Grab - State Sen. Chris Larson - Jul 9th, 2020
- Fitzgerald Reacts to Wisconsin Supreme Court Decision in SEIU vs. Vos - Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald - Jul 9th, 2020
Read more about Lame Duck Laws here