Bucks’ New Bar Is “The MECCA”
"The MECCA Sports Bar and Grill" is a tribute to team's original home.
The sports bar planned for the Milwaukee Bucks entertainment center outside of Fiserv Forum will be known as The MECCA Sports Bar and Grill.
According to a statement from the team, the bar, with a 600-person capacity, will “recreate the in-game experience by featuring state-of-the-art audiovisual equipment built around the centerpiece of a 36-foot high-definition screen.” Outdoor seating will be provided on the first and second levels.
The name is an homage to the team’s original home in the MECCA Arena. MECCA, which stands for Milwaukee Exposition, Convention Center and Arena, was the name of a complex that was replaced by the construction of the Wisconsin Center convention hall (then the Midwest Express Center).
The Bucks, who won their only title while playing in the building, played a throwback game in the building last season versus the Boston Celtics. The team’s “City Edition” jersey for this season features a cutout of the iconic MECCA court designed by famed artist Robert Indiana.
The name will certainly cause some confusion for younger Milwaukeeans and visiting fans. It is not a reference to the city in Saudi Arabia that served as the birthplace for the prophet Muhammad. Millions of Muslims travel to Mecca annually as the city is regarding as the holiest city in the religion of Islam and a pilgrimage to the city is a pillar of the faith.
The new bar is being designed by architecture firm RINKA. The firm designed the exterior of the entertainment buildings. ADK Design is listed as the general contractor on the building permit.
“We are thrilled to extend our esteemed food and beverage program beyond Fiserv Forum into The MECCA Sports Bar and Grill,” said Justin Green, Vice President of Hospitality for the Bucks. “Guests will enjoy an elevated sports bar culinary experience with incredible versions of sports bar fare along with signature items that will surprise and delight.”
Permits on file with the city list a variety of spaces planned for the establishment, including a theater dining room, viewing deck, skybox dining room and private dining room. The bar will share a second-story patio with Good City Brewing.
Good City Brewing opened in mid-January and will soon be joined by the Bucks’ new bar, Punch Bowl Social and Drink Wisconsinbly Pub. A small, team-owned bar, dubbed “The Beer Garden,” opened last year to provide drinks for those watching games or other televised events on the massive screen in the alley connecting the plaza with N. Old World Third St.
We here at Urban Milwaukee offered some wry predictions of possible names for the Bucks bar in our past story, including “The MECCA Tap” — pretty close. And never mind our other suggestions,
Photos and Renderings
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- Murphy’s Law: Bucks Subsidy An Issue in US Senate Race - Bruce Murphy - May 9th, 2022
- Murphy’s Law: Bucks Franchise Worth $1.86 Billion - Bruce Murphy - Jan 25th, 2021
- Op Ed: County Parks Lost Funding to Bucks Arena - Patricia Jursik - Jul 7th, 2020
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Fiserv Forum Workers to Get $15/Hour - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 29th, 2020
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Bucks Beat Hiring Targets on Fiserv Forum - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 20th, 2019
- Murphy’s Law: Taxpayers Make Bucks, Brewers Rich - Bruce Murphy - Apr 16th, 2019
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Bucks Unveil Master Plan for Park East - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 15th, 2019
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Bucks Plan Massive Arena Signs - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 12th, 2019
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Bucks’ New Bar Is “The MECCA” - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 7th, 2019
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Bucks Planning Sports Bar for Live Block - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 24th, 2019
Read more about New Bucks Arena here