Walker Avoids Harley Issue at Parades
Governor declines to criticize Trump in his July 4 appearances.
Trump this week kept up his tariff-related battle with the motorcycle company, by tweeting that he’s encouraging other bike manufacturers to move to the U.S.
Harley says more of its production jobs are going overseas because of Trump’s support of tariffs.
Prior to marching in the holiday parade in Wauwatosa, Walker was asked if Trump is hurting the Milwaukee company. He declined to criticize the president but reiterated his hope that the White House will be moving away from tariffs in the coming months.
“Again … I don’t think this is indefinite. A few months from now, I hope we’ll get to a point where we’re at least going towards no tariffs,” Walker said.
Walker said he talked to Trump about Harley-Davidson two weeks ago when visiting the White House.
Democratic state Rep. Fred Kessler who was also in the Wauwatosa parade said Walker is making a mistake by not being more critical of the president.
“I certainly think he should be calling on Sen. (Ron) Johnson and the Republican senators to oppose this,” Kessler said. “I mean, I just think we are seeing an upside-down status on the free enterprise system.”
Listen to the WPR report here.
Governor Marches In July 4 Parades, Tiptoes Fine Line On Harley And Trump was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
More about the Trump Tariffs
- Trump Tariffs Hurt Milwaukee Port - Danielle Kaeding - Sep 4th, 2018
- Harley Riders Oppose Boycott of Company - Laurel White - Sep 3rd, 2018
- Answer the Question, Scott Walker - One Wisconsin Now - Aug 13th, 2018
- Trump’s Aid to Farms Gets Mixed Reviews - Rich Kremer - Jul 26th, 2018
- Voters Unhappy About Tariffs, State Roads - Chuck Quirmbach - Jul 19th, 2018
- Businesses Complain About Trump Tariffs to Johnson - Chuck Quirmbach - Jul 17th, 2018
- Canada’s Tariffs Target Wisconsin - Scott Gordon - Jul 16th, 2018
- Data Wonk: How Trump Threatens State’s Exports - Bruce Thompson - Jul 5th, 2018
- Walker Avoids Harley Issue at Parades - Chuck Quirmbach - Jul 5th, 2018
- Campaign Cash: Harley Gave Generously to Republicans - Wisconsin Democracy Campaign - Jun 26th, 2018
- Harley-Davidson Job Losses: Walker Owns This - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Jun 26th, 2018
- Scott Walker Flies While Harley Davidson Flees - One Wisconsin Now - Jun 26th, 2018
- Op Ed: Trump Dead Wrong on Canadian Trade - John Torinus - Jun 21st, 2018
- Op Ed: Trump’s Tariffs Hurt Wisconsin Economy - John Torinus - Jun 11th, 2018
- Trump Tariffs Threaten State’s Exports - Steven Deller, Tessa Conroy and Matthew Kures - May 13th, 2018
- Op Ed: Trump Tariffs Will Harm Trump Country - John Torinus - Mar 14th, 2018
- Statement Regarding Governor Walker’s Phone Call with U.S. Department of Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross - Gov. Scott Walker - Mar 9th, 2018
- Op Ed: Ryan Finally Stands Up to Trump - Gregory Humphrey - Mar 8th, 2018
- Governor Walker Visits Wisconsin Employers in Oshkosh, Janesville that Have Expressed Concern with President Trump’s Proposed Tariffs on Steel and Aluminum - Gov. Scott Walker - Mar 6th, 2018
- Governor Walker Releases Statement on the Trump Administration’s Proposed Steel and Aluminum Tariffs - Gov. Scott Walker - Mar 2nd, 2018
- Norquist: Trump Tariffs Will Hurt State Workers - John Norquist - Feb 2nd, 2017