Walker Avoids Harley Issue at Parades
Governor declines to criticize Trump in his July 4 appearances.
Trump this week kept up his tariff-related battle with the motorcycle company, by tweeting that he’s encouraging other bike manufacturers to move to the U.S.
Harley says more of its production jobs are going overseas because of Trump’s support of tariffs.
Prior to marching in the holiday parade in Wauwatosa, Walker was asked if Trump is hurting the Milwaukee company. He declined to criticize the president but reiterated his hope that the White House will be moving away from tariffs in the coming months.
“Again … I don’t think this is indefinite. A few months from now, I hope we’ll get to a point where we’re at least going towards no tariffs,” Walker said.
Walker said he talked to Trump about Harley-Davidson two weeks ago when visiting the White House.
Democratic state Rep. Fred Kessler who was also in the Wauwatosa parade said Walker is making a mistake by not being more critical of the president.
“I certainly think he should be calling on Sen. (Ron) Johnson and the Republican senators to oppose this,” Kessler said. “I mean, I just think we are seeing an upside-down status on the free enterprise system.”
Listen to the WPR report here.
Governor Marches In July 4 Parades, Tiptoes Fine Line On Harley And Trump was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
- Murphy’s Law: Trump Tariffs Slam Wisconsin Economy - Bruce Murphy - Jun 29th, 2020
- Baldwin Calling on Trump Administration to Take Action and Support Wisconsin Hardwood Businesses Hurt by Trade War - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Feb 25th, 2020
- Trade War Wounds May Heal Soon - Erik Gunn - Feb 21st, 2020
- How China Trade Agreement Impacts Wisconsin Farmers - Miranda Suarez - Jan 16th, 2020
- Trump Tariffs Have Cost State $800 Million - Miranda Suarez - Dec 10th, 2019
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Seeks Investigation into Possible Market Manipulation Regarding Market Bets Timed to Trump’s Comments on Trade War & Other Geopolitical Events - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Oct 21st, 2019
- Port Milwaukee Shipping Up in 2019 - Danielle Kaeding - Oct 21st, 2019
- Stuck to Gallagher: Does Your Party Care About Small Business? - State Rep. Amanda Stuck - Oct 10th, 2019
- Evers Blasts Trump “Tweet” Trade Wars - Erik Gunn - Sep 16th, 2019
- Donald Trump’s Administration Laughs in the Face of Struggling Farmers - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Aug 13th, 2019
Read more about Trump Tariffs here