Stuck to Gallagher: Does Your Party Care About Small Business?
Candidate says Wisconsin dairies should be supported
APPLETON – Congressional candidate Amanda Stuck was deeply critical of comments made by the U.S. Secretary of Agriculture and urged incumbent Mike Gallagher to break with Republican policy on farming.
Earlier in the week, Federal Ag Secretary Sonny Perdue told a gathering at the World Dairy Expo in Madison it would be “very difficult” for family dairy farms to stay in business unless they expand exponentially, adding, “In America, the big get bigger and the small go out.”
Stuck, whose campaign has focused on the problems of working families, thinks more can be done.
Republican trade policies have spurred retaliatory tariffs on dairy products from Mexico and China. Perdue’s suggestion—that market conditions inevitably create monopolistic economies of scale—didn’t sit well with Stuck.
“Republicans seem to think that the only businesses that matter are the ones that write the big checks,” she said. “From Green Bay to Greenville, Northeast Wisconsin is a patchwork of small, family-owned farms. They’re operated by people who work sunrise to sunset, who are willing to compete and who aren’t asking for guarantees. But they can’t fight alone and what they’re asking for is support.”
Stuck wasn’t alone in her criticism. Wisconsin Governor Tony Evers tweeted, “Make no mistake about it, Trump’s administration is no friend to America’s Dairyland.”
Amanda has been a strong advocate for northeast Wisconsin in the Assembly, working to protect jobs in Wisconsin’s paper industry and leading the charge against sweetheart deals for Foxconn. She co- founded the State Assembly’s bipartisan Future caucus. Amanda and her husband, David, a union sheetmetal journeyman, are raising four children together in Appleton.
Stuck for Congress
More about the Trump Tariffs
- Stuck to Gallagher: Does Your Party Care About Small Business? - State Rep. Amanda Stuck - Oct 10th, 2019
- Evers Blasts Trump “Tweet” Trade Wars - Erik Gunn - Sep 16th, 2019
- Donald Trump’s Administration Laughs in the Face of Struggling Farmers - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Aug 13th, 2019
- Gov. Evers Calls on President Trump to Listen to Farmers, End Unproductive Trade Wars - Gov. Tony Evers - Aug 12th, 2019
- Harley 2nd Quarter Earnings Down 19% - Brady Carlson - Jul 24th, 2019
- State’s Exports Down in 2019 - Hope Kirwan - Jul 23rd, 2019
- Data Wonk: Democrats Now The Free Trade Party? - Bruce Thompson - Jun 26th, 2019
- Murphy’s Law: Trump Tariffs Killing Wisconsin - Bruce Murphy - Jun 4th, 2019
- Data Wonk: How Walker, Trump Hurt Dairy Industry - Bruce Thompson - Mar 13th, 2019
- Ron Johnson Calls for Ending Tariffs - Hope Kirwan - Feb 8th, 2019
- Harley-Davidson Earnings Down - Patty Murray - Jan 31st, 2019
- Tariffs Affecting Great Lakes Ports - Danielle Kaeding - Jan 5th, 2019
- Trump Tariffs Hurt Milwaukee Port - Danielle Kaeding - Sep 4th, 2018
- Harley Riders Oppose Boycott of Company - Laurel White - Sep 3rd, 2018
- Answer the Question, Scott Walker - One Wisconsin Now - Aug 13th, 2018
- Trump’s Aid to Farms Gets Mixed Reviews - Rich Kremer - Jul 26th, 2018
- Voters Unhappy About Tariffs, State Roads - Chuck Quirmbach - Jul 19th, 2018
- Businesses Complain About Trump Tariffs to Johnson - Chuck Quirmbach - Jul 17th, 2018
- Canada’s Tariffs Target Wisconsin - Scott Gordon - Jul 16th, 2018
- Data Wonk: How Trump Threatens State’s Exports - Bruce Thompson - Jul 5th, 2018
- Walker Avoids Harley Issue at Parades - Chuck Quirmbach - Jul 5th, 2018
- Campaign Cash: Harley Gave Generously to Republicans - Wisconsin Democracy Campaign - Jun 26th, 2018
- Harley-Davidson Job Losses: Walker Owns This - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Jun 26th, 2018
- Scott Walker Flies While Harley Davidson Flees - One Wisconsin Now - Jun 26th, 2018
- Op Ed: Trump Dead Wrong on Canadian Trade - John Torinus - Jun 21st, 2018
- Op Ed: Trump’s Tariffs Hurt Wisconsin Economy - John Torinus - Jun 11th, 2018
- Trump Tariffs Threaten State’s Exports - Steven Deller, Tessa Conroy and Matthew Kures - May 13th, 2018
- Op Ed: Trump Tariffs Will Harm Trump Country - John Torinus - Mar 14th, 2018
- Statement Regarding Governor Walker’s Phone Call with U.S. Department of Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross - Gov. Scott Walker - Mar 9th, 2018
- Op Ed: Ryan Finally Stands Up to Trump - Gregory Humphrey - Mar 8th, 2018
- Governor Walker Visits Wisconsin Employers in Oshkosh, Janesville that Have Expressed Concern with President Trump’s Proposed Tariffs on Steel and Aluminum - Gov. Scott Walker - Mar 6th, 2018
- Governor Walker Releases Statement on the Trump Administration’s Proposed Steel and Aluminum Tariffs - Gov. Scott Walker - Mar 2nd, 2018
- Norquist: Trump Tariffs Will Hurt State Workers - John Norquist - Feb 2nd, 2017
Recent Press Releases by State Rep. Amanda Stuck
"Mike Gallagher needs to spend less time in Washington with the millionaires who got checks from his tax breaks and more time in Wisconsin with the rest of us who are paying for it."
Rep. Stuck Again Calls on Congressman Mike Gallagher to Stand with Northeast Wisconsin against the Ryan/Trump Healthcare PlanMay 4th, 2017 by State Rep. Amanda Stuck
"The newest healthcare plan put forward by Speaker Ryan, Republican Congressional Leaders and approved by President Trump is anything but affordable..."