Evers Blasts Trump “Tweet” Trade Wars
The approach “just sucks,” governor says on new state podcast.
It might never reach an audience the size of “Call Your Girlfriend,” “Pod Save America,” or “WTF with Marc Maron,” but the Department of Workforce Development has joined the wonderful world of podcasting.
The idea came out of brainstorming including DWD’s secretary-designee, Caleb Frostman, and the department’s communications staff. “Anytime we can tell our story and get the word out, that’s what we try to do,” DWD spokesman Tyler Tichenor told Wisconsin Examiner.
Episode 3 of “On, Wisconsin Workforce,” as the more-or-less-monthly program is called, dropped on Sept. 9. It included an interview with the administrator of DWD’s Division of Employment and Training, Chytania Brown, a recurring segment with the department’s chief economist, Dennis Winters, and the thoughts of a 12-year-old boy named Harrison who told Frostman that he wants to be a politician when he grows up.
Evers also spoke of his September trade mission to Japan (already underway by the time listeners got to hear the interview, which had been recorded the Friday before Labor Day) and took a swipe at President Donald Trump’s trade policy without ever mentioning him by name. Along the way he employed the plain-spoken rhetoric that the otherwise soft-spoken governor has become famous for launching unexpectedly.
“Unfortunately we have leadership at the national level that engages in trade wars via Tweet,” Evers told Frostman. “I understand an analysis, whether it’s China or some other country that we’re fighting with over trade issues, that we could maybe find a better way to do it, but the process itself” — he paused, as if pondering whether he wanted to say what came next, then plunged ahead — “just sucks. I don’t know how else to put it. We have businesses making decisions based upon some Tweet that was done at 3 in the morning. We can’t survive that way.”
Reprinted with permission of Wisconsin Examiner.
More about the Trump Tariffs
- Trump Tariffs Have Cost State $800 Million - Miranda Suarez - Dec 10th, 2019
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Seeks Investigation into Possible Market Manipulation Regarding Market Bets Timed to Trump’s Comments on Trade War & Other Geopolitical Events - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Oct 21st, 2019
- Port Milwaukee Shipping Up in 2019 - Danielle Kaeding - Oct 21st, 2019
- Stuck to Gallagher: Does Your Party Care About Small Business? - State Rep. Amanda Stuck - Oct 10th, 2019
- Evers Blasts Trump “Tweet” Trade Wars - Erik Gunn - Sep 16th, 2019
- Donald Trump’s Administration Laughs in the Face of Struggling Farmers - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Aug 13th, 2019
- Gov. Evers Calls on President Trump to Listen to Farmers, End Unproductive Trade Wars - Gov. Tony Evers - Aug 12th, 2019
- Harley 2nd Quarter Earnings Down 19% - Brady Carlson - Jul 24th, 2019
- State’s Exports Down in 2019 - Hope Kirwan - Jul 23rd, 2019
- Data Wonk: Democrats Now The Free Trade Party? - Bruce Thompson - Jun 26th, 2019
- Murphy’s Law: Trump Tariffs Killing Wisconsin - Bruce Murphy - Jun 4th, 2019
- Data Wonk: How Walker, Trump Hurt Dairy Industry - Bruce Thompson - Mar 13th, 2019
- Ron Johnson Calls for Ending Tariffs - Hope Kirwan - Feb 8th, 2019
- Harley-Davidson Earnings Down - Patty Murray - Jan 31st, 2019
- Tariffs Affecting Great Lakes Ports - Danielle Kaeding - Jan 5th, 2019
- Trump Tariffs Hurt Milwaukee Port - Danielle Kaeding - Sep 4th, 2018
- Harley Riders Oppose Boycott of Company - Laurel White - Sep 3rd, 2018
- Answer the Question, Scott Walker - One Wisconsin Now - Aug 13th, 2018
- Trump’s Aid to Farms Gets Mixed Reviews - Rich Kremer - Jul 26th, 2018
- Voters Unhappy About Tariffs, State Roads - Chuck Quirmbach - Jul 19th, 2018
- Businesses Complain About Trump Tariffs to Johnson - Chuck Quirmbach - Jul 17th, 2018
- Canada’s Tariffs Target Wisconsin - Scott Gordon - Jul 16th, 2018
- Data Wonk: How Trump Threatens State’s Exports - Bruce Thompson - Jul 5th, 2018
- Walker Avoids Harley Issue at Parades - Chuck Quirmbach - Jul 5th, 2018
- Campaign Cash: Harley Gave Generously to Republicans - Wisconsin Democracy Campaign - Jun 26th, 2018
- Harley-Davidson Job Losses: Walker Owns This - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Jun 26th, 2018
- Scott Walker Flies While Harley Davidson Flees - One Wisconsin Now - Jun 26th, 2018
- Op Ed: Trump Dead Wrong on Canadian Trade - John Torinus - Jun 21st, 2018
- Op Ed: Trump’s Tariffs Hurt Wisconsin Economy - John Torinus - Jun 11th, 2018
- Trump Tariffs Threaten State’s Exports - Steven Deller, Tessa Conroy and Matthew Kures - May 13th, 2018
- Op Ed: Trump Tariffs Will Harm Trump Country - John Torinus - Mar 14th, 2018
- Statement Regarding Governor Walker’s Phone Call with U.S. Department of Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross - Gov. Scott Walker - Mar 9th, 2018
- Op Ed: Ryan Finally Stands Up to Trump - Gregory Humphrey - Mar 8th, 2018
- Governor Walker Visits Wisconsin Employers in Oshkosh, Janesville that Have Expressed Concern with President Trump’s Proposed Tariffs on Steel and Aluminum - Gov. Scott Walker - Mar 6th, 2018
- Governor Walker Releases Statement on the Trump Administration’s Proposed Steel and Aluminum Tariffs - Gov. Scott Walker - Mar 2nd, 2018
- Norquist: Trump Tariffs Will Hurt State Workers - John Norquist - Feb 2nd, 2017