Harley Gave Generously to Republicans
So did Sartori Foods. Both now hurt by Trump tariffs.
Here’s a look at the campaign contributions by Harley-Davidson and Sartori Foods employees to legislative and statewide candidates in Wisconsin.
The iconic Milwaukee-based motorcycle manufacturer recently announced it would be moving some production abroad because the European Union raised tariffs on American-made motorcycles from 6 percent to 31 percent. The increase was in response to earlier tariffs on European steel and aluminum imposed by GOP President Donald Trump.
Meanwhile, Sartori cheese exports will see tariff increases of 15 percent to 25 percent.
Between January 2010 and December 2017, campaign contributions from Harley-Davidson and Sartori totaled about $69,000, including about $54,250 to Republicans and about $14,775 to Democrats.
Republican Gov. Scott Walker tops the list of Harley and Sartori contribution recipients, accepting about $45,100 between January 2010 and December 2017.
Other top recipients were:
Mary Burke, a former Democratic candidate for governor, about $5,835;
Tom Barrett, a former Democratic candidate for governor, about $5,735;
GOP Lt. Gov. Rebecca Kleefisch, $3,050;
GOP Sen. Van Wanggaard, of Racine, $1,200;
State Senate Democratic Committee, $1,000;
Jon Richards, a former Democratic state senator and lieutenant governor candidate, $1,000.
The companies’ top contributors to legislative and statewide candidates were:
Harley-Davidson attorney Paul J. Jones, of Fox Point, $15,500, all of which went to Walker;
Harley-Davidson attorney Edward Krishok, of Milwaukee, $9,400;
Sartori Foods president James Sartori, of Plymouth, $7,725, of which $3,950 went to Walker.
More about the Trump Tariffs
- Data Wonk: How Trump Threatens State’s Exports - Bruce Thompson - Jul 5th, 2018
- Walker Avoids Harley Issue at Parades - Chuck Quirmbach - Jul 5th, 2018
- Campaign Cash: Harley Gave Generously to Republicans - Wisconsin Democracy Campaign - Jun 26th, 2018
- Harley-Davidson Job Losses: Walker Owns This - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Jun 26th, 2018
- Scott Walker Flies While Harley Davidson Flees - One Wisconsin Now - Jun 26th, 2018
- Op Ed: Trump Dead Wrong on Canadian Trade - John Torinus - Jun 21st, 2018
- Op Ed: Trump’s Tariffs Hurt Wisconsin Economy - John Torinus - Jun 11th, 2018
- Trump Tariffs Threaten State’s Exports - Steven Deller, Tessa Conroy and Matthew Kures - May 13th, 2018
- Op Ed: Trump Tariffs Will Harm Trump Country - John Torinus - Mar 14th, 2018
- Statement Regarding Governor Walker’s Phone Call with U.S. Department of Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross - Gov. Scott Walker - Mar 9th, 2018
- Op Ed: Ryan Finally Stands Up to Trump - Gregory Humphrey - Mar 8th, 2018
- Governor Walker Visits Wisconsin Employers in Oshkosh, Janesville that Have Expressed Concern with President Trump’s Proposed Tariffs on Steel and Aluminum - Gov. Scott Walker - Mar 6th, 2018
- Governor Walker Releases Statement on the Trump Administration’s Proposed Steel and Aluminum Tariffs - Gov. Scott Walker - Mar 2nd, 2018
- Norquist: Trump Tariffs Will Hurt State Workers - John Norquist - Feb 2nd, 2017