Kimberly-Clark Donated to Walker, Legislators
Paper industry gave $225,000. Walker wants state handout to Kimberly Clark.
Republican Gov. Scott Walker says he wants to increase the amount of state handouts to Kimberly-Clark Corp. after the papermaker announced it would cut 600 Wisconsin jobs.
Meanwhile, legislative Democrats want to provide $60 million in state aid for Wisconsin papermakers to upgrade their mills.
The dueling aid pitches came Monday after Kimberly-Clark said it would eliminate as many as 5,000 jobs company wide, including about 600 jobs at its plants in Neenah and Fox Crossing.
Walker said he wants to give the paper company the same level of tax credits per job as a deal passed last year to lure Foxconn to Wisconsin.
Kimberly-Clark executives and other employees contributed a total $14,645 to legislative and statewide candidates between January 2010 and June 2017, including $5,340 to Walker. Nearly $2 of every $3 in campaign contributions from the company went to Republicans – about $9,200 versus about $5,450.
Overall, the paper industry contributed about $225,800 to legislative and statewide candidates between January 2010 and June 2017, including about $81,500 to Walker. Current legislators received about $59,350 from the industry, including $54,200 to Republican lawmakers and nearly $5,200 to Democratic legislators.
Foxconn, a Taiwanese high-tech company, could receive up to $3 billion in state tax credits to open a $10 billion manufacturing plant in Racine County that could create up to 13,000 jobs.
More about the Kimberly-Clark Plant Closings
- Wisconsin Budget: Walker Rewards Kimberly-Clark For Layoffs? - Jon Peacock - Aug 2nd, 2018
- Op Ed: Say No to Kimberly-Clark Subsidy - State Sen. Chris Larson - Jul 26th, 2018
- Kimberly-Clark Will Consider State Subsidy - Brady Carlson - Jul 25th, 2018
- Governor Walker Releases Statement on Kimberly-Clark, United Steelworkers Agreement - Gov. Scott Walker - Jul 24th, 2018
- Governor Walker, State Officials Push to Keep Kimberly-Clark Jobs in the Fox Valley - Gov. Scott Walker - Feb 15th, 2018
- Wisconsin Budget: The Lesson of Kimberly-Clark Layoffs - Jon Peacock - Feb 12th, 2018
- Campaign Cash: Kimberly-Clark Donated to Walker, Legislators - Wisconsin Democracy Campaign - Feb 7th, 2018
- Governor Walker Calls for Increasing Tax Incentives for Kimberly-Clark - Gov. Scott Walker - Feb 5th, 2018