24 Counties Have Voted for Fair Maps
They passed resolutions calling for nonpartisan redistricting to end gerrymandering.
The drive to improve the way Wisconsin redraws its district maps is rapidly gaining speed.
Just in the past two weeks, three more counties — Kenosha, La Crosse, and Monroe — have passed resolutions saying they are in favor of nonpartisan redistricting, with the maps drawn not by the political party in power but by civil servants with specific criteria to ensure that the maps are not rigged in favor of any party.
That’s how it’s been done in Iowa for the past 35 years, so this nonpartisan process is called the Iowa Model.
This movement for fair maps has gained speed for three reasons.
The first is because of the Whitford case, the successful federal lawsuit against the Republican legislative leaders for the way they gerrymandered the maps in 2011 to secure a partisan advantage. A three judge panel ruled last November that this was unconstitutional, and the case is now at the U.S. Supreme Court.
Second, a Lincoln County Board member, Hans Breitenmoser, took up the issue with gusto earlier this year. He not only got a resolution passed at his county board, but he has urged other county boards to follow suit.
And third, a coalition of pro-democracy groups — Fair Maps Wisconsin — has come together to push this issue forward. The coalition consists of such groups as Citizen Action Organizing Cooperatives, Common Cause in Wisconsin, the League of Women Voters of Wisconsin, the Wisconsin Democracy Campaign, Wisconsin Fair Elections Project, and Wisconsin Voices, among others.
- State Supreme Court Rejects Redistricting Rule Change - Shawn Johnson - May 14th, 2021
- Law Forward on Supreme Court Rejection of Redistricting Rulemaking Petition - Law Forward - May 14th, 2021
- Republicans Lose Lawyers Before Redistricting Starts - State Sen. Melissa Agard - Apr 29th, 2021
- Judge Prohibits Republicans Using Private Lawyers for Redistricting - Shawn Johnson - Apr 29th, 2021
- Op Ed: How Gerrymandered Are We? - Kevin Baas - Apr 29th, 2021
- Murphy’s Laws: The New Gerrymandering Scheme - Bruce Murphy - Apr 27th, 2021
- Evers Redistricting Panel Seeks ‘Partisan Fairness’ - Shawn Johnson - Apr 17th, 2021
- Law Forward’s “Redistricting 101” Provides Much-needed Overview of Critical but Complicated Process - Law Forward - Apr 15th, 2021
- Op Ed: Wisconsin Needs Fair Maps - Ruth Conniff - Apr 1st, 2021
- Your Right to Know: Redistricting Shouldn’t Be Done In Secret - Matthew DeFour - Mar 2nd, 2021
Read more about Gerrymandering of Legislative Districts here