Bucks Arena Work Prep
Sewer relocation has this stretch of the Park East seeing activity for the first time in ten years.
While the groundbreaking isn’t scheduled until June 18th, construction work is already underway on the site of the Milwaukee Bucks arena district. The Milwaukee Common Council approved the final designs for the arena, training facility and parking structure this week, and it won’t be long before those buildings start to rise from the ground.
Before construction can start on those new buildings, a sewer built as part of then long-demolished Park East Freeway spur needs to be relocated. After months of construction that work is nearly complete. When complete in the coming days the sewer will reside under a portion of the W. McKinley Ave. right-of-way.
According to a city document the sewer serves “Interstate 43, the Hillside Interchange, and WIS 145. Farther upstream, the Sewer also serves some areas of the City and a combined sewer overflow connection.” That’s a lot of waste water.
The $5.9 million project is being led by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation, which due to the sewer’s freeway origin owns the large piece of infrastructure. As part of the deal the Milwaukee Bucks contributed $350,000 to the state to support the relocation. The city, which was originally asked to contribute $765,000, had their share reduced because of the Bucks’ contribution and is now providing their share in-kind, rather than as a cash transfer to the state.
The move removes one of two major encumbrances on the Park East land. The land, which the Bucks bought for $1 despite its $8.8 million assessed value, also contains the leftover footings from the freeway. Those footings will cost approximately $3 million to remove.
At a glance the sale for $1 seems like a corporate giveaway, but it’s a bit more complicated than that. Regardless of who bought the land, almost any development on the land was going to require millions of dollars of work to remove the footings and relocate the sewer. A competing bid to the Bucks offer proved the investment arm of the team paid market value, with developer Blair Williams bidding $1 for the land and anticipating the need for public financing support.
Enjoy our photos of the construction. They’re the first of what will countless trips to track the progress on the $500+ million arena district.
Parking Garage Renderings
Training Facility Renderings
More about the New Bucks Arena
- Eyes on Milwaukee: City Panel Okays Live Block Shrinkage - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 4th, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Bucks’ Live Block Connector Approved - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 21st, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Bucks Arena 68% Complete - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 21st, 2017
- Bucks’ Health Clinic Will Soon Open - Graham Kilmer - Nov 9th, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Bucks Unveil Arena Parking Garage - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 31st, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Bucks Arena On Budget, On Schedule - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 5th, 2017
- Friday Photos: Live Block Work Starts in Deer District - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 22nd, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Bucks Top Off New Arena - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 24th, 2017
- Photo Gallery: Touring The New Bucks Arena - Graham Kilmer - Aug 1st, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Inside New Bucks Arena - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 6th, 2017
- Friday Photos: The Deer District Rises - Jeramey Jannene - May 12th, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Council Approves Arena, Hammes Design Changes - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 1st, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Committee Okays Two Downtown Designs - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 22nd, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Bucks Unveil New Signs for Arena - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 14th, 2017
- Friday Photos: Arena Rises from Frozen Tundra - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 16th, 2016
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Bucks Live Block is a Slam Dunk - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 5th, 2016
- Friday Photos: New Bucks Arena From Above - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 7th, 2016
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Council Okays Streetcar to Bucks Arena - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 6th, 2016
- Friday Photos: Bucks Arena Work Prep - Jeramey Jannene - May 27th, 2016
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Bucks Arena Design Approved - Jeramey Jannene - May 17th, 2016
- Eyes on Milwaukee: How Urban is Bucks New Arena? - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 18th, 2016
- Eyes on Milwaukee: New Bucks Arena Approved - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 22nd, 2015
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Bucks Arena Winners and Losers - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 17th, 2015
- Murphy’s Law: How Could Walker Refuse Incredible Deal? - Bruce Murphy - Feb 12th, 2015