Wisconsin Center District Announces Architectural Team for Wisconsin Center Expansion
International Firm tvsdesign and Milwaukee-Based Eppstein Uhen Architects (EUA) Selected
MILWAUKEE, WI – (December 19, 2019) – At a meeting this morning, Wisconsin Center District (WCD) President and CEO Marty Brooks announced that the architecture team of tvsdesign and EUA has been selected to design the expansion of the Wisconsin Center.
“Today’s announcement is a critical milestone in this exciting and ambitious process,” said Brooks. “The expanded Wisconsin Center will be a facility providing superb, captivating, and buzzworthy experiences to all who enter. We will create jobs, generate economic impact, and capitalize on the momentum that Milwaukee is only starting to feel. It’s the beginning of a new legacy.”
Based in Atlanta, with offices in Los Angeles and Shanghai, tvsdesign is an award-winning globally recognized authority in convention center design. tvsdesign has most recently completed expansions for the Las Vegas Convention Center, and the largest convention center in North America, McCormick Place in Chicago, IL.
“On behalf of EUA and tvsdesign, we are incredibly proud to have been selected,” said Rich Tennessen, President of EUA. “The combined expertise of our EUA staff with the world-class convention center team at tvsdesign is ready to design a convention center that draws people from around the world to experience our phenomenal city.”
Today’s announcement was the latest in a series of benchmarking events which need to be met in order for a final financing package to be created. The next milestone is the selection of the construction manager, expected to be announced by the end of January. Once these two entities are able to work together, a blueprint will emerge and with it, a more concise cost for the project.
“The WCD Board has been very pleased with the progress of the Wisconsin Center expansion project thus far,” said WCD Board Chairman, Jim Kanter. “We are committed to making fact-based, strategic business decisions that are in the best interest of the city, the region, and the state. The Board is one of the most engaged I’ve ever seen, and I am proud of the work that we are doing to make an impact in our area.”
On November 8th, 2019, CAA ICON – acting as the owner’s representative on behalf of the WCD – issued the RFQ to a combination of 17 local and national architectural firms. Of the 17 firms, 14 combined with partners, forming 7 teams total. Responses were due December 3rd and in-person interviews with each team were subsequently held.
Each team was vetted against the same criteria:
i. Relevant Experience
iii. Project Approach
iv. Design duration schedule
v. Pre-development fees
vi. Contract review/edits
vii. Inclusion goal approach
“Having just come off the excitement and momentum of the Fiserv Forum project, it was energizing to see the level of presentations from each team,” said Marc Farha, Executive Vice President of CAA ICON. “It was clear that the WCD’s expectation of building a best-in-class facility for Milwaukee, the region, and the state was heard loud and clear by all who participated.”
Next, CAA ICON and representatives from the WCD will be vetting construction management responses from the Invitation to Bid, issued November 25th. Responses are due tomorrow, December 20. In person interviews are scheduled for the week of January 6th, with an award expected the second week of January.
The next WCD Board meeting is scheduled for January 24, 2020.
More about the Wisconsin Center expansion
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Council Delays Convention Expansion? - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 24th, 2020
- Plats and Parcels: Convention Center Expansion Paused - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 22nd, 2020
- Plats and Parcels: 11 Key Details About the Convention Center Expansion - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 8th, 2020
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Renderings Released for Convention Center Expansion - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 6th, 2020
- Eyes on Milwaukee: City Wants $5 Million of Hotel Tax Per Year - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 3rd, 2020
- Plats and Parcels: UWM Gets Okay to Partially Demolish Columbia Hospital - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 1st, 2020
- Eyes on Milwaukee: City Okays Convention Center Expansion - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 11th, 2020
- Plats and Parcels: Gilbane, CD Smith Will Build Wisconsin Center Expansion - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 12th, 2020
- Wisconsin Center District Announces Construction Manager for Wisconsin Center Expansion - Wisconsin Center District - Jan 10th, 2020
- Wisconsin Center District Announces Architectural Team for Wisconsin Center Expansion - Wisconsin Center District - Dec 19th, 2019
- Plats and Parcels: River One Apartments Construction Starts in March - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 1st, 2019
- Plats and Parcels: New Apartments Near Streetcar Line - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 20th, 2019
- Convention Center Expansion Advances - Alana Watson - Aug 17th, 2019
- Wisconsin Center District Board Unanimously Passes Resolution Regarding Exposition Center Expansion - Wisconsin Center District - Aug 16th, 2019
- Plats and Parcels: State Aids Convention Center Expansion - Jeramey Jannene - Jun 30th, 2019
- Plats and Parcels: Convention Center Expansion Inches Forward - Graham Kilmer - May 20th, 2019
- Wisconsin Center District Updates Timeline for Completion of the Wisconsin Center - Wisconsin Center District - May 10th, 2019
- Evers Budget Overlooks Convention Center - Corri Hess - Mar 8th, 2019
- Plats and Parcels: About That New Convention Center Plan - Graham Kilmer - Jun 17th, 2018
- Plenty of Horne: Downtown Power Brokers Mull Expanded Convention Center - Michael Horne - May 15th, 2014
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Wisconsin Center District
New Standard Effective July 1, 2020