U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Calls on President Trump to Stop Making False Claims About Agriculture Purchases from Mexico and China, and Start Telling Wisconsin Farmers the Truth
Wisconsin farmers have been hit hard by Trump trade wars with China, Mexico, Canada and the European Union
More than 1,600 dairy farms in Wisconsin have gone out of business since Trump took office
MILWAUKEE, WI – As President Trump stops in Milwaukee Friday his ongoing trade wars continue to hurt Wisconsin’s agriculture economy.
Today, U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin called on the President to stop making false claims about agriculture purchases from Mexico and China, and start telling Wisconsin farmers the truth. Last month, the President falsely claimed that Mexico had agreed to immediately begin buying large quantities of agricultural products from American farmers. And last week, Trump claimed that China will buy“a tremendous amount of food and agricultural product” but has so far offered no evidence or details to support this claim.
Wisconsin farmers have been hit hard by Trump trade wars with China, Mexico, Canada and the European Union. More than 1,600 dairy farms in Wisconsin have gone out of business since Trump took office.
U.S. agricultural exports to China dropped from over $25 billion in 2015 under President Obama to a projected $6 billion this year. Some uniquely Wisconsin products have been included in China’s retaliatory lists, most notably dairy, cranberries and ginseng—all of which have suffered as a result.
“Farmers have enough uncertainty from weather, markets, and the challenges of growing food to feed our nation and the world. Your trade wars, broken promises and exaggerated claims about export opportunities make it even more difficult for them to do business,” Senator Baldwin wrote to the President.
The full letter is available here.
An online version of this release is available here.
More about the Trump Tariffs
- Baldwin Calling on Trump Administration to Take Action and Support Wisconsin Hardwood Businesses Hurt by Trade War - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Feb 25th, 2020
- Trade War Wounds May Heal Soon - Erik Gunn - Feb 21st, 2020
- How China Trade Agreement Impacts Wisconsin Farmers - Miranda Suarez - Jan 16th, 2020
- Trump Tariffs Have Cost State $800 Million - Miranda Suarez - Dec 10th, 2019
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Seeks Investigation into Possible Market Manipulation Regarding Market Bets Timed to Trump’s Comments on Trade War & Other Geopolitical Events - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Oct 21st, 2019
- Port Milwaukee Shipping Up in 2019 - Danielle Kaeding - Oct 21st, 2019
- Stuck to Gallagher: Does Your Party Care About Small Business? - State Rep. Amanda Stuck - Oct 10th, 2019
- Evers Blasts Trump “Tweet” Trade Wars - Erik Gunn - Sep 16th, 2019
- Donald Trump’s Administration Laughs in the Face of Struggling Farmers - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Aug 13th, 2019
- Gov. Evers Calls on President Trump to Listen to Farmers, End Unproductive Trade Wars - Gov. Tony Evers - Aug 12th, 2019
- Harley 2nd Quarter Earnings Down 19% - Brady Carlson - Jul 24th, 2019
- State’s Exports Down in 2019 - Hope Kirwan - Jul 23rd, 2019
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Urges Trump Administration to Invest in Dairy Innovation with Trade Aid - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Jul 19th, 2019
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Calls on President Trump to Stop Making False Claims About Agriculture Purchases from Mexico and China, and Start Telling Wisconsin Farmers the Truth - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Jul 12th, 2019
- Data Wonk: Democrats Now The Free Trade Party? - Bruce Thompson - Jun 26th, 2019
- Murphy’s Law: Trump Tariffs Killing Wisconsin - Bruce Murphy - Jun 4th, 2019
- Senator Baldwin Demands Answers from Trump About $62 Million Going to Brazilian Crooks Instead of American Farmers - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - May 23rd, 2019
- Data Wonk: How Walker, Trump Hurt Dairy Industry - Bruce Thompson - Mar 13th, 2019
- Ron Johnson Calls for Ending Tariffs - Hope Kirwan - Feb 8th, 2019
- Harley-Davidson Earnings Down - Patty Murray - Jan 31st, 2019
- Tariffs Affecting Great Lakes Ports - Danielle Kaeding - Jan 5th, 2019
- Trump Tariffs Hurt Milwaukee Port - Danielle Kaeding - Sep 4th, 2018
- Harley Riders Oppose Boycott of Company - Laurel White - Sep 3rd, 2018
- Answer the Question, Scott Walker - One Wisconsin Now - Aug 13th, 2018
- Trump’s Aid to Farms Gets Mixed Reviews - Rich Kremer - Jul 26th, 2018
- Voters Unhappy About Tariffs, State Roads - Chuck Quirmbach - Jul 19th, 2018
- Businesses Complain About Trump Tariffs to Johnson - Chuck Quirmbach - Jul 17th, 2018
- Canada’s Tariffs Target Wisconsin - Scott Gordon - Jul 16th, 2018
- Data Wonk: How Trump Threatens State’s Exports - Bruce Thompson - Jul 5th, 2018
- Walker Avoids Harley Issue at Parades - Chuck Quirmbach - Jul 5th, 2018
- Campaign Cash: Harley Gave Generously to Republicans - Wisconsin Democracy Campaign - Jun 26th, 2018
- Harley-Davidson Job Losses: Walker Owns This - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Jun 26th, 2018
- Scott Walker Flies While Harley Davidson Flees - One Wisconsin Now - Jun 26th, 2018
- Op Ed: Trump Dead Wrong on Canadian Trade - John Torinus - Jun 21st, 2018
- Op Ed: Trump’s Tariffs Hurt Wisconsin Economy - John Torinus - Jun 11th, 2018
- Trump Tariffs Threaten State’s Exports - Steven Deller, Tessa Conroy and Matthew Kures - May 13th, 2018
- Op Ed: Trump Tariffs Will Harm Trump Country - John Torinus - Mar 14th, 2018
- Statement Regarding Governor Walker’s Phone Call with U.S. Department of Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross - Gov. Scott Walker - Mar 9th, 2018
- Op Ed: Ryan Finally Stands Up to Trump - Gregory Humphrey - Mar 8th, 2018
- Governor Walker Visits Wisconsin Employers in Oshkosh, Janesville that Have Expressed Concern with President Trump’s Proposed Tariffs on Steel and Aluminum - Gov. Scott Walker - Mar 6th, 2018
- Governor Walker Releases Statement on the Trump Administration’s Proposed Steel and Aluminum Tariffs - Gov. Scott Walker - Mar 2nd, 2018
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Leads Dairy State Senators in Urging Agriculture Secretary Perdue to Take Immediate Action for Dairy Farms Harmed by Canadian Trade Barriers - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Apr 27th, 2017
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Calls on President Trump to Hold China Accountable on Trade During Upcoming Summit - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Apr 5th, 2017
- Norquist: Trump Tariffs Will Hurt State Workers - John Norquist - Feb 2nd, 2017
Recent Press Releases by U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin
Senator Baldwin and Representatives Kind, Moore and Pocan Call on President Trump to Extend Federal Funding for Wisconsin National Guard in Fight Against COVID-19 PandemicMay 21st, 2020 by U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin
"An extension of this funding is critical to ensuring the safety and health of our citizens, as well as advancing efforts to reopen our state."
Bipartisan, bicameral legislation provides America’s agriculture economy and food supply chain with the tools needed to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic