U.S. Department of Justice Confirms Federal Civil Rights Investigation Into Shooting of Mr. Jacob Blake
Matthew D. Krueger, United States Attorney for the Eastern District of Wisconsin, and Eric S. Dreiband, Assistant Attorney General for the Civil Rights Division of the Department of Justice, confirmed this evening that, as indicated in a press conference held earlier today by Wisconsin Attorney General Josh Kaul and Kenosha County District Attorney Michael D. Graveley, a federal investigation has been opened into the shooting of Jacob Blake by an officer of the Kenosha (Wisconsin) Police Department. The investigation will be conducted by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, in cooperation with the Wisconsin Division of Criminal Investigation and other state authorities, and will be overseen by prosecutors from the U.S. Attorney’s Office and the Criminal Section of the Civil Rights Division. The federal investigation will run parallel to, and share information with, state authorities to the extent permissible under law.
Federal authorities are committed to investigating this matter as thoroughly and efficiently as possible. Along with Attorney General Kaul and District Attorney Graveley, United States Attorney Krueger and Assistant Attorney General Dreiband urged all members of the community to allow the investigation processes to develop all available evidence before rendering judgment. They also encouraged everyone to act peacefully and abide by the law.
Federal law enforcement is joined with state and local authorities to address further violence in Kenosha and beyond. Federal law imposes stiff penalties for arson, rioting, firearms offenses, and other violent crimes, which United States Attorney Krueger pledged to prosecute to the fullest extent possible.
If individuals have firsthand information to report regarding the shooting of Mr. Blake, they should contact FBI Milwaukee at (414) 276-4684.
For further information contact: Public Information Officer Kenneth Gales (414) 297-1700.
- Cop Says He Thought Jacob Blake Was a Kidnapper - Megan Hart - Sep 27th, 2020
- Ex-Madison Police Chief Helping Review Blake Case - Madeline Fox - Sep 22nd, 2020
- UPDATE: Kenosha Officer-Involved Shooting - Josh Kaul - Sep 21st, 2020
- Activists Criticize Tosa PD’s Protest Tactics - Isiah Holmes - Sep 19th, 2020
- AG Decision on Blake Shooting Coming Up - Corri Hess - Sep 17th, 2020
- NLG Condemns Biased and Unprofessional Policing by Kenosha Police and Sheriff’s Departments - National Lawyers Guild, Milwaukee Chapter - Sep 16th, 2020
- Protesters Describe Detention In Kenosha - Isiah Holmes - Sep 14th, 2020
- Evers Might Extend Mask Order - Shawn Johnson - Sep 10th, 2020
- Jacob Blake Speaks from Hospital Bed - Rob Mentzer - Sep 6th, 2020
- Biden Visits Blake Family in Kenosha - Madeline Fox and Laurel White - Sep 3rd, 2020
Read more about Shooting of Jacob Blake here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by U.S. Department of Justice
Attorney General William P. Barr Announced Updates On Operation Legend At Press Conference In MilwaukeeSep 22nd, 2020 by U.S. Department of Justice
Charges Announced Against 26 Defendants Alleged to Operate a Violent Drug Trafficking Organization in Milwaukee