Twenty Area Children’s Charities Randomly Chosen to Participate in Heart of Canal Street
Benefiting organizations to share in fund-raising total announced Dec. 16.
MILWAUKEE (Nov. 29, 2016) – Since 1994, Potawatomi Hotel & Casino has provided meals for hungry children, safe places to stay, supplemented youth education and much more through its signature community program, Heart of Canal Street.
Twenty-three years later, Heart of Canal Street continues to help fund the missions of 31 local children’s charities annually.
Twenty of those organizations from around southeastern Wisconsin were randomly selected Tuesday to benefit from the property’s annual program.
“We couldn’t be more pleased with the group of charities selected to participate in our Heart of Canal Street program,” said Potawatomi Hotel & Casino Bingo Director Melanie Martin. “These charities do such incredible things for the youth in our community, and we are excited to help fund these efforts.”
This year’s Heart of Canal Street randomly selected charities include:
- Adoption Choice, Inc., Glendale, Wis.
- American Diabetes Association- Wisconsin, Brookfield, Wis.
- Autism Society of Southeastern Wisconsin, Wauwatosa, Wis.
- Bicycle Federation of Wisconsin Educational Foundation- Wisconsin Bike Fed, Milwaukee, Wis.
- Blessings in a Backpack- Waukesha County, Oconomowoc, Wis.
- Down Syndrome Association of Wisconsin, St. Francis, Wis.
- Easterseals Southeast Wisconsin, West Allis, Wis.
- Friends of Havenwoods, Milwaukee, Wis.
- Harry & Rose Samson Family Jewish Community Center, Milwaukee, Wis.
- Keep Greater Milwaukee Beautiful, Milwaukee, Wis.
- Lutheran Social Services of Wisconsin and Upper Michigan, Milwaukee, Wis.
- Make A Difference- Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wis.
- Make-A-Wish Wisconsin, Wauwatosa, Wis.
- Milwaukee Christian Center, Milwaukee, Wis.
- Milwaukee Repertory Theater, Milwaukee, Wis.
- Ozaukee Family Services, Grafton, Wis.
- Parents Place, Inc., Waukesha, Wis.
- Racine Symphony Orchestra, Racine, Wis.
- Special Spaces Wisconsin, Mequon, Wis.
- Wisconsin Art Education Association, Milwaukee, Wis.
In addition to the randomly selected charities, 10 signature charities and Potawatomi Hotel & Casino’s Charity of Choice, MKE Plays, were selected by the program’s media partners and announced in August. They include:
- Boys and Girls Club of Greater Milwaukee—presented by Lamar Outdoor
- Food Pantry of Waukesha County—presented by WITI FOX 6
- Jewish Family Services—presented by Milwaukee Radio Alliance
- Kathy’s House—presented by iHeart Media
- Milwaukee Public Museum—presented by OnMilwaukee.com
- Northcott Neighborhood House—presented by Milwaukee Radio Group
- PEARLS for Teen Girls, Inc.—presented by Entercom Radio
- SHARP Literacy, Inc.—presented by Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- The Parenting Network—presented by Clear Channel Outdoor
- Wisconsin Humane Society—presented by Weigel Broadcasting/CBS 58
Heart of Canal Street funds are raised primarily through special Canal Street bingo games played during every bingo session. The fund-raising total will be announced during a special event held at the casino Dec. 16.
Since its inception in 1994, the Heart of Canal Street program has made over 550 donations totaling nearly $16 million to fund children’s programs throughout southeastern Wisconsin.
Eligible charities applied during a call for entry period which closed in June. Eligible organizations must have 501(c) (3) status, serve a primary client base of children younger than 18 and be located within Milwaukee, Racine, Washington, Waukesha, Ozaukee, Dodge, Jefferson, Kenosha, Sheboygan or Walworth counties. A complete list of submission guidelines is available at www.paysbig.com/business/heart-canal-street/.
About Potawatomi Hotel & Casino
Set in the heart of Milwaukee, Potawatomi Hotel & Casino is Wisconsin’s premier entertainment destination, offering guests the best in gaming, dining and entertainment. The property features a luxurious 381-room hotel, seven award-winning restaurants, the intimate 500-seat Northern Lights Theater and more than 60,000 square feet of event space. Potawatomi Hotel & Casino is committed to raising awareness of the risks of problem gambling, maintaining a level of first-class customer service, while investing in its most valuable asset – its 2,900 multicultural employees. Through the Forest County Potawatomi Foundation and Heart of Canal Street, the casino supports numerous local charities and community organizations. To discover more, call 800-PAYS-BIG or visit www.paysbig.com.
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Potawatomi Hotel & Casino
Phased re-opening features guest reservation system for Fire Keeper's Club Members; significant operational changes
Closure to begin at 5 p.m. Tuesday, March 17
Fat Tuesday Celebration includes stops along streetcar route