The Intersection of Guns and Race
Taylor Concerned About Guns in School Given Racial Disparities
(MADISON) Yesterday, the Florida Legislature passed Senate Bill 7026 and it’s on the way to Governor Rick Scott’s desk. The legislation is a sweeping gun and school-safety bill that would make many changes to Florida’s gun laws. Notably, it would provide for a “guardian” program, allowing for trained school employees to carry guns. Scott has 15 days to either sign or veto the legislation.
Senator Lena Taylor (D – Milwaukee) released the following statement in response to the “Guardian” portion of the Senate Bill 7026, so named in honor of Aaron Feis, the late Stoneman Douglas assistant football coach who gave his life protecting students during the school shooting.
“Given the intersection of race and disparate treatment in terms of school suspensions, expulsions and how students of color are at times perceived by teachers and administrators, I am worried about how some of these interactions could play out. When you consider the incidents of questionable officer-involved shootings, that have left the African-American community particularly frustrated, when there wasn’t a gun or weapon present by an assailant, there is room for a conversation here. The law doesn’t specify what types of actions could rise to the level of gun use, it simply reads ‘active assailant incidents on school premises’. An assailant is simply a person who physically attacks another, so it’s not clear what would be permissible under the law as written.
“And for the folks who would say, ‘you are worrying for nothing’, the Florida legislation specifies that for a person to be eligible to be a guardian they must successfully complete at least 12 hours of a certified nationally recognized diversity training program. So clearly, I am not the only one raising this concern.”
More about the Gun Violence
- Republicans Again Did Nothing to Address Gun Violence - State Sen. Chris Larson - Mar 20th, 2018
- School safety package is rushed, needs significant fixes - State Rep. David Bowen - Mar 20th, 2018
- Tom Palzewicz Releases Comprehensive Gun Safety Reform Plan - Tom Palzewicz - Mar 20th, 2018
- Dana Wachs Responds to Gov. Walker’s Short-Sighted School Safety Plan - State Rep. Dana Wachs - Mar 15th, 2018
- Gov. Walker fails to act on gun safety - State Sen. Jennifer Shilling - Mar 15th, 2018
- No Child Should Ever Feel Unsafe in School: Governor Walker Calls $100 million Special Session on School Safety - Gov. Scott Walker - Mar 15th, 2018
- I stand with our children - Ald. Chantia Lewis - Mar 14th, 2018
- National Walkout Day: I Sit in Solidarity with Students - State Rep. Jimmy Anderson - Mar 14th, 2018
- Youth Council measure urges support of National School Walkout Day and March for Our Lives - City of Milwaukee Youth Council - Mar 13th, 2018
- Mayor Tom Barrett, City Leaders Call For Gun Safety from Children - Mayor Tom Barrett - Mar 12th, 2018
- The State of Politics: School Safety Bill Renews Gun Debate - Steven Walters - Mar 12th, 2018
- The Intersection of Guns and Race - State Sen. Lena Taylor - Mar 8th, 2018
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Cosponsors Critical School Safety Legislation - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Mar 6th, 2018
- Representative Subeck Statement on Governor’s Comments on School Safety - State Rep. Lisa Subeck - Mar 1st, 2018
- Roys calls on Walker to pass common sense gun reform during proposed special session on gun violence - Kelda Roys - Mar 1st, 2018
- Op Ed: Thoughtful Discussion Needed on Guns - Kyle Hagge - Mar 1st, 2018
- Guns, Grief and Grace - Elizabeth Baker - Feb 28th, 2018
- The time for action on gun violence is now - State Sen. Jennifer Shilling - Feb 28th, 2018
- The Contrarian: The Real “Gun Nuts” - George Mitchell - Feb 26th, 2018
- Did Michael Screnock Promise the NRA He Supports More Guns in Schools? - One Wisconsin Now - Feb 23rd, 2018
- Universal Background Checks Fail on Party Line in WI State Assembly - State Rep. Jonathan Brostoff - Feb 21st, 2018
- Bryce Calls on Speaker Ryan to Meet with Students from his District - Randy Bryce - Feb 21st, 2018
- Republicans block school shooting precautions - State Sen. Jennifer Shilling - Feb 20th, 2018
- Passage of Senate Bill 408 - State Sen. Chris Larson - Feb 20th, 2018
- Republican Bill Would Put Guns in Wisconsin Schools - One Wisconsin Now - Feb 19th, 2018
- Speaker Ryan Chooses Campaign Donors Over South Florida Teacher - Randy Bryce - Feb 17th, 2018
- Dana Wachs Calls for an Overhaul of Assault Weapon Laws and Other Measures to Fight Domestic Terrorism - State Rep. Dana Wachs - Feb 16th, 2018
- GOP Chair of State Assembly Committee on Education, School Principal Shares Article Romanticizing Guns in Schools in Aftermath of Florida Mass School Shooting - One Wisconsin Now - Feb 16th, 2018
- Data Wonk: The More Guns, Less Crime Scam - Bruce Thompson - Oct 18th, 2017
- Op Ed: 5 Ways to Reduce Gun Deaths - Patrick Dunphy - Oct 16th, 2017
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by State Sen. Lena Taylor
"These bills do not address the issues that Governor Walker continues to neglect."
"I am glad that what I have repeatedly said and advocated for in past years regarding juvenile corrections is finally getting traction from my colleagues."