“Testy” GOP Senate Debate’s “Clashes” and “Jabs” Escalate Nasty Primary
Vukmir and Nicholson's mutual disdain has been building for months, and last night's debate proves that things are only going to get worse and further weaken the Republican field.
MADISON — Last night’s Republican U.S. Senate primary debate was “testy,” it was petty, and it was defined by “clashes” and “jabs” that only serve to further ratchet up the intensity of Leah Vukmir and Kevin Nicholson‘s already-“nasty” primary.
Nasty attacks have been a near-constant throughout Vukmir and Nicholson’s GOP primary matchup, which has been defined by deeply personal and petty attacks, lobbed back and forth by Nicholson and Vukmir, their campaign staff and family members. Nicholson even drew Gov. Scott Walker‘s family into the fray — in support of Vukmir — when he refused to shake hands with Alex Walker, then accused First Lady Tonette Walker of lying about him.
And even when Vukmir and Nicholson signed the Republican Party of Wisconsin‘s “unity pledge” back in January, it was only a matter of hours before the two Republicans were right back at each other’s throats.
Vukmir and Nicholson’s mutual disdain has been building for months, and last night’s debate proves that things are only going to get worse and further weaken the Republican field.
Here are some lowlights and coverage from last night:
- Leah Vukmir said Wisconsinites can’t trust Kevin Nicholson: “We can’t take chances on the unknown” and “We know more about Kevin’s track record as a Democrat than we do about his track record as a Republican.” (Vukmir is correct to point out that Nicholson has been caught lying — repeatedly.)
- WITI-TV: ‘That was a low blow:’ Leah Vukmir, Kevin Nicholson trade buzzer-beating salvos in debate
- WITI-TV: 1st WI-SEN GOP Debate “Turned On Its Head” With “Buzzer-Beating Jabs”
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: Kevin Nicholson, Leah Vukmir clash in first Republican U.S. Senate debate
- AP: Vukmir, Nicholson Clash Over Experiences in First Debate
- Wisconsin State Journal: GOP US Senate hopefuls get testy in final minutes of their first debate
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Democratic Party of Wisconsin
Gallagher Votes Against Liz Cheney, Supports Republican Election Conspiracies
Johnson is Determined to Single-Handedly Hold Back COVID Recovery at Every Step
WisDems Release Statement on Republicans Gutting Popular, Bipartisan Policies from Gov. Evers’ BudgetMay 6th, 2021 by Democratic Party of Wisconsin
Legislative Republicans Continue Political Games With Vote Against Medicaid Expansion, Marijuana Legalization, Clean Drinking Water