Statement from Wauwatosa Mayor Dennis R. McBride
November 21, 2020
Yesterday, eight people were shot at Mayfair Mall. Fortunately, all eight have survived and are believed to be recovering. Mayfair Mall is secure but is closed today.
Preliminary investigation by the Wauwatosa Police Department (WPD) indicates that the shooting was the result of an altercation and not a random act. WPD investigators, with the assistance of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, are continuing to interview victims and witnesses to identify and apprehend the suspect. If anyone has information about the suspect’s identity or location, please convey that information immediately to the WPD.
Guns have no place in shopping malls or other places in which crowds of people gather. Mayfair has a strict no-gun policy. If the shooter had complied with that policy, no one would have been hurt yesterday.
On behalf of the community, I thank the officers of the WPD and nearby police departments for their protection of shoppers, employees, and other members of the greater Milwaukee community. I also thank the Wauwatosa Fire Department for its quick work in attending to the victims’ injuries and transporting them safely to the hospital. Finally, I thank the people of Wauwatosa for their strength and determination. We have survived past challenges and we will survive this one.
The WPD will provide additional information as it becomes available. We appreciate the community’s patience and support as this investigation proceeds.
- Suspected Mayfair Mall Shooter Arrested - Ethan Duran - Nov 23rd, 2020
- Statement from Wauwatosa Mayor Dennis R. McBride - Wauwatosa Mayor Dennis McBride - Nov 21st, 2020
- Shooting erupts at Mayfair Mall - Common Council President Cavalier Johnson - Nov 20th, 2020
- Rep. Robyn Vining & Sen. Dale Kooyenga Statement Regarding Shooting at Mayfair Mall - State Rep. Robyn Vining - Nov 20th, 2020
- Statement Regarding Mass Shooting at Mayfair Mall - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Nov 20th, 2020
- The Wauwatosa Police Department Investigates Shooting Incident at Mayfair Mall - City of Wauwatosa Police Department - Nov 20th, 2020
- Police Chief: 8 Injured In Shooting At Mayfair Mall - WPR Staff - Nov 20th, 2020
Read more about Shooting at Mayfair Mall here
Recent Press Releases by Wauwatosa Mayor Dennis McBride
Democrat will challenge Rep. Rob Hutton for suburban Milwaukee seat