Statement from The Hop Regarding Ridership
Statement from The Hop:
“Compiling and disclosing ridership totals is an important part of The Hop’s operations. Our ridership numbers are based upon concrete data obtained by an Automatic Passenger Counter (APC) system on board each of the five streetcars. Ridership totals provide benchmarks for us to track the system’s growth and key insights into how and when people ride that will allow us to refine the level of service we provide.
“Unfortunately, in reviewing the data captured thus far in 2019, we’ve discovered numerous malfunctions of the APC system resulting in large blocks of missing data. We’ve worked diligently with the APC system’s manufacturer to recover the data from January, which shows a total of 49,501 rides. While that total reflects a decline from our November and December numbers, given the extreme weather the city faced towards the end of the month and industry trends from other streetcar markets where ridership often dips during colder months and peaks during the summer, we are confident in the accuracy of this data. Combined with our totals for November and December (excluding opening weekend), average daily ridership for The Hop through the first three months of operations is 2,105.
“We have not been able to recover missing data for much of February and early March, and consequently cannot provide accurate totals for either month. Our priority now is to ensure the APC is functioning as designed so that we can continue compiling accurate data moving forward.”
For more project details, including the project timeline, financing, route and possible extensions, see our extensive past coverage.
- Plats and Parcels: Lakefront Streetcar Extension Scheduled for June 2022 Opening - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 6th, 2020
- Transportation: Should Milwaukee Stop The Hop? - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 13th, 2020
- Transportation: The Hop Now Wears a Mask - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 18th, 2020
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Is A Couture Deal Finally Coming? - Jeramey Jannene - May 13th, 2020
- Transportation: SUV Driver Runs Into The Hop - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 28th, 2020
- Transportation: Streetcar Kiosks Could Bring In $500,000 Annually - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 20th, 2020
- Thanks A Million, Hop Riders! - The Hop - Feb 19th, 2020
- Transportation: We Energies Will Sponsor Streetcar - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 10th, 2020
- Transportation: Streetcar Ridership Up in January Versus 2019 - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 7th, 2020
- Transportation: Streetcar Ridership Up in December - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 14th, 2020
Read more about Milwaukee Streetcar here