Statement from The Hop Regarding Ridership
Statement from The Hop:
“Compiling and disclosing ridership totals is an important part of The Hop’s operations. Our ridership numbers are based upon concrete data obtained by an Automatic Passenger Counter (APC) system on board each of the five streetcars. Ridership totals provide benchmarks for us to track the system’s growth and key insights into how and when people ride that will allow us to refine the level of service we provide.
“Unfortunately, in reviewing the data captured thus far in 2019, we’ve discovered numerous malfunctions of the APC system resulting in large blocks of missing data. We’ve worked diligently with the APC system’s manufacturer to recover the data from January, which shows a total of 49,501 rides. While that total reflects a decline from our November and December numbers, given the extreme weather the city faced towards the end of the month and industry trends from other streetcar markets where ridership often dips during colder months and peaks during the summer, we are confident in the accuracy of this data. Combined with our totals for November and December (excluding opening weekend), average daily ridership for The Hop through the first three months of operations is 2,105.
“We have not been able to recover missing data for much of February and early March, and consequently cannot provide accurate totals for either month. Our priority now is to ensure the APC is functioning as designed so that we can continue compiling accurate data moving forward.”
More about the Milwaukee Streetcar
For more project details, including the project timeline, financing, route and possible extensions, see our extensive past coverage.
- Garbage Truck Crashes Into Streetcar - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 27th, 2023
- Eyes on Milwaukee: City Has $16 Million Plan For Downtown Plaza - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 10th, 2023
- Transportation: Feds Don’t Select Milwaukee For Streetcar Grant - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 11th, 2022
- Transportation: Art Campaign Highlights Milwaukee, New York Teens - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 1st, 2022
- Transportation: City Seeking Grant For Streetcar Convention Center Extension - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 15th, 2022
- The Hop Returns To Full Service - Jeramey Jannene - Jun 21st, 2022
- Transportation: Streetcar Service Goes From Bad To Worse - Jeramey Jannene - May 3rd, 2022
- Transportation: Should National Avenue Rebuild Include Plans for Streetcar? - Jeramey Jannene - Apr 8th, 2022
- Transportation: Maintenance Issues Reduce The Hop’s Schedule - Jeramey Jannene - Apr 4th, 2022
- Transportation: Congress Extends Streetcar Grant - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 16th, 2022
Read more about Milwaukee Streetcar here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by The Hop
The Hop Announces Extended Service Hours During SummerfestSep 1st, 2021 by The Hop
Streetcar to operate until 1 a.m. to accommodate festivalgoers staying until closing
The Hop Returning to Regular Hours and Service Levels Aug. 1Jul 24th, 2021 by The Hop
Streetcar to welcome back riders with ‘Hop Summer Nights’ featuring free live music, free ‘hopsicles’ and free chances to win a great downtown prize package