State mask mandate is in the best interest of Wisconsin residents
Statement of Common Council President Cavalier Johnson July 30, 2020
I want to applaud Governor Tony Evers for taking the necessary step of declaring a Public Health Emergency and issuing an Emergency Order requiring individuals to wear face coverings. The order, which goes into effect August 1st, requires individuals to wear face coverings when indoors and not in a private residence, with some exceptions.
The science in support of wearing masks is clear, and this is why the Council unanimously passed the MKE Cares and Masks for All legislation introduced by Alderwoman Marina Dimitrijevic. Today’s decision by the Governor will help protect the safety and well-being of residents throughout the state, just as we have taken steps to protect residents in Milwaukee.
More information on the Governor’s order can be found here.
As of Wednesday, July 29 Milwaukee has seen 14,337 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and the number of confirmed cases in Milwaukee County is creeping closer to 20,000. We know COVID-19 continues to affect urban areas across the country, but rural areas are seeing an impact as well.
In a story published today by Wisconsin Public Radio it was noted that Iron County in northern Wisconsin has the state’s highest rate of active COVID-19 infections. The story continues to state that four rural Wisconsin counties (Iron, Juneau, Langlade and Menominee) are the only counties in the state to have more active cases than recovered ones.
Such data indicates the need for masks in ALL areas of Wisconsin. Everyone has a role to play in defeating this virus, and today’s decision is a step toward doing just that.
Milwaukee residents can receive a mask free of charge by visiting the following sites:
- Keenan Health Center, 3200 N. 36th Street, Monday –Friday from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Northwest Health Center, 7630 W. Mill Road, Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. – 1p.m.
- Southside Health Center, 1639 S. 23rd Street, Monday –Friday from 8 a.m. – 1p.m.
- Any of the 42 CITGO gas stations in Milwaukee courtesy of VISIT Milwaukee and the Metropolitan Milwaukee Association of Commerce.
Residents, businesses and other organizations can also visit https://www.maskupmke.org/ for more resources and information on obtaining masks, and https://city.milwaukee.gov/coronavirus for the latest COVID-19 news and updates.
- UW System Vaccination Rates Vary Widely - Rich Kremer - Sep 18th, 2021
- MKE County: COVID-19 Cases Still High in Milwaukee County - Graham Kilmer - Sep 17th, 2021
- Milwaukee Health Department excusing inaction with insufficient data, right-wing talking points - Milwaukee Teachers’ Education Association - Sep 16th, 2021
- Gov. Evers Delivers Radio Address on New Investments to Support Local COVID-19 Pandemic Response and Recovery - Gov. Tony Evers - Sep 16th, 2021
- UWM reaches 70% vaccination rate goal, pushes for more - University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee - Sep 16th, 2021
- Data Wonk: Biden Vaccine Plan Helps GOP Governors - Bruce Thompson - Sep 15th, 2021
- Gov. Evers, DHS Remind Wisconsinites to Get Vaccinated to Get $100 - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Sep 15th, 2021
- American Family Field COVID-19 Testing Site Closing - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 14th, 2021
- For Ron Johnson, Prolonging the Pandemic is Just Another Day at the Office - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Sep 14th, 2021
- Nursing Home Workers Resist Vaccines - Madeline Fuerstenberg - Sep 13th, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
- Court Watch: Why Court Voided Evers Emergency Order - Gretchen Schuldt - Apr 5th, 2021
- Statement by Heartland Institute Director Jeré Fabick on WI Supreme Court Victory Against Gov. Tony Evers - Heartland Institute - Mar 31st, 2021
- Senator Agard: Statement on Supreme Court Decision - State Sen. Melissa Agard - Mar 31st, 2021
- Wisconsin’s Hyperpartisan Supreme Court is Endangering the Public - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Mar 31st, 2021
- Wisconsin Supreme Court: Gov. Evers’ Multiple Emergency Declarations Violate Law - Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty - Mar 31st, 2021
- Rep. Hesselbein Statement on Supreme Court Ruling on Emergency Orders - State Rep. Dianne Hesselbein - Mar 31st, 2021
- Statement on Wisconsin Supreme Court Decision - State Sen. Jon Erpenbach - Mar 31st, 2021
- Gov. Evers Releases Statement Regarding Supreme Court Decision - Gov. Tony Evers - Mar 31st, 2021
- Rep. Hintz: Statement on Wisconsin Supreme Court Ruling - State Rep. Gordon Hintz - Mar 31st, 2021
- State Supreme Court Overrules Evers’ Emergency Powers - Laurel White - Mar 31st, 2021
Read more about Statewide Mask Mandate here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Common Council President Cavalier Johnson
September 7, 2021
Statement of Common Council President Cavalier Johnson September 7, 2021
Statement of Common Council President Cavalier Johnson September 3, 2021