Senate Republicans unanimously reject vote on Dark Store fix
"It seems that the Republicans are helping the big box stores shift their property tax burden onto the back of homeowners."
Today, Wisconsin Senate Republicans unanimously rejected an effort to vote on legislation to address the Dark Store property tax scheme.
State Senator Janis Ringhand (D-Evansville) attempted to bring the issue up for a vote. The Republicans used a procedural move to block the legislation, just as they did when Senator Ringhand attempt to bring the issue to a vote last year.
“It seems that the Republicans are helping the big box stores shift their property tax burden onto the back of homeowners,” Ringhand said. “This move demonstrates how the Republicans would rather defend corporate lobbyists than the homeowners in their districts.”
The legislation (SB 130) is one of the most bi-partisan bills introduced in the legislature. Ten members from each party have co-sponsored the bill in the State Senate.
Senator Ringhand said that she will continue to fight for homeowners who are seeking relief from the Dark Store tax scheme.
“People throughout Wisconsin expect the legislature to be more than a support system for the corporate lobby.”
More about the Dark Store Loophole
- Senate Democrats Offer 2020 Agenda - Laurel White - Dec 24th, 2019
- Dark Store Loophole Continues to Shift Property Tax Burden to Homeowners - State Rep. Gordon Hintz - Dec 19th, 2019
- Examining the Dark-Store Loophole - Melanie Conklin - Aug 7th, 2019
- Senate GOP Refuse to Close the “Dark Store” Loophole - State Sen. Jennifer Shilling - May 15th, 2019
- Senate Republicans unanimously reject vote on Dark Store fix - State Sen. Janis Ringhand - May 15th, 2019
- The State of Politics: Can Any ”Dark Store” Reform Get Passed? - Steven Walters - Apr 22nd, 2019
- Campaign Cash: Evers Opposes ‘Dark Store’ Loophole - Wisconsin Democracy Campaign - Feb 12th, 2019
- Rep. Robyn Vining Commends Gov. Evers’ Plan to Close Dark Store Loophole - State Rep. Robyn Vining - Feb 6th, 2019
- Homeowners Triumph under Gov. Evers - State Sen. Jennifer Shilling - Feb 5th, 2019
- Local Leaders Demand Big Store Tax Reform - Graham Kilmer - Oct 9th, 2018
- The State of Politics: Clash Over Assessments, Property Tax Brewing - Steven Walters - Sep 10th, 2018
- Close Dark Store Loophole, Campaign Urges - Danielle Kaeding - Aug 30th, 2018
- The State of Politics: Growing Concern Over Dark Store Loophole - Steven Walters - Apr 23rd, 2018
- Op Ed: Dark Store Loophole Costs Taxpayers - John Eiden - Apr 16th, 2018
- Op Ed: Homeowners Getting Stuck With Tax Bill - State Sen. Jennifer Shilling - Mar 25th, 2018
- Republicans Lower Walmart’s Property Taxes, Raise Yours - State Rep. Jimmy Anderson - Feb 13th, 2018
- Campaign Cash: Republicans Stall “Dark Store” Bill - Wisconsin Democracy Campaign - Dec 14th, 2017
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by State Sen. Janis Ringhand
"Astonishingly, the Republicans primary concern is to protect their own power."
Joint press release from Sen. Janis Ringhand and Sen. Robert Wirch.
Foxconn posted a 39 percent drop in third-quarter earnings.