Sen. Ron Johnson Continues Impeachment Bumbling
‘What Sen. Johnson is Proposing Isn’t Just Nonsensical, It’s Unethical’
MADISON, Wis. — After briefly dodging reporters’ questions, U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson has put himself back in the middle of Donald Trump’s ethical morass. Johnson told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that he would be willing to testify about what he knows about Trump’s quid pro quo with Ukraine for dirt on political opponents and that he also would not recuse himself from any vote on impeachment if a trial were held in the U.S. Senate.
“Ron Johnson talked himself into the ridiculous position of offering himself up as a witness who wants to exonerate Donald Trump and a juror, who also wants to exonerate Donald Trump,” said Eicher. “What Sen. Johnson is proposing isn’t just nonsensical, it’s unethical.”
Sen. Johnson found himself in the Trump impeachment spotlight after a disastrous performance on a national public affairs program where he was asked to respond to reports he seemed to be uncomfortable with Donald Trump’s apparent linkage of U.S. aid to Ukraine with efforts to dig up dirt on his political opponents. Johnson spiralled off into conspiracy theories to avoid answering simple, direct questions and offered laughable proof Donald Trump had done nothing improper – he told him he didn’t do it.
According to the latest reported comments from Johnson:
“Johnson hasn’t been asked to testify in the House’s impeachment inquiry but has said he would cooperate if asked.
‘I wouldn’t resist,’ he told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel of how he would react to a request to testify. ‘I’m always happy to tell the truth.’
Two ethics experts told the Journal Sentinel this month that Johnson should consider recusing himself from a vote on removing Trump if the matter gets to the Senate because of Johnson’s involvement in the matter.
Johnson said he would not do that because the people who elected him deserve to have representation if the issue comes to the Senate.”
Eicher noted Johnson, who before joining the U.S. Senate ran the plastics factory given to him by his in-laws, has a history of sharing his ill-informed opinions with the public. Selected Johnson gaffes are listed on One Wisconsin Now’s The wRONg Johnson Archive.
One Wisconsin Now is a statewide communications network specializing in effective earned media and online organizing to advance progressive leadership and values.
More about the Impeachment of President Trump
- Op Ed: The Courage of Mitt Romney - Bill Kaplan - Feb 10th, 2020
- In Trump Acquittal, Wisconsin Legislators Divided - Robin Bravender and Ruth Conniff - Feb 6th, 2020
- Pocan: ‘A Cover-Up That Will Haunt our Democracy’ - U.S. Rep Mark Pocan - Feb 5th, 2020
- Call Bolton to Testify, Baldwin Urges - Erik Gunn - Jan 29th, 2020
- “Gut Check Time” For Senators, Baldwin Says - Shawn Johnson - Jan 28th, 2020
- Data Wonk: Measuring Republican Views on Impeachment - Bruce Thompson - Jan 2nd, 2020
- Data Wonk: Rep. Sensenbrenner’s Disappointing Column - Bruce Thompson - Dec 26th, 2019
- Pocan: ‘A Vote That Sets the Precedent for All Future Presidents’ - U.S. Rep Mark Pocan - Dec 18th, 2019
- It’s “Obvious” Senate Will Acquit Trump - Robin Bravender - Dec 18th, 2019
- Sensenbrenner Votes Against Weak Impeachment Articles after Partisan Committee Markup - U.S. Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner - Dec 13th, 2019
- Sensenbrenner Statement on Articles of Impeachment - U.S. Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner - Dec 10th, 2019
- Congresswoman Moore Supports Decision to Move Forward with Articles of Impeachment - U.S. Rep. Gwen Moore - Dec 5th, 2019
- Op Ed: Impeachment Depends on Facts - Bill Kaplan - Nov 26th, 2019
- State’s GOP Congressmen Skip Depositions - Robin Bravender - Nov 25th, 2019
- Why State Voters Cooled on Impeachment - Ruth Conniff - Nov 22nd, 2019
- Poll Shows Less Support For Impeachment - Miranda Suarez - Nov 21st, 2019
- Ron Johnson Attacks Vindman, Defends Trump - Ruth Conniff - Nov 20th, 2019
- Johnson Dodges Questions About Trump, Ukraine - Allison Stevens - Nov 7th, 2019
- Sen. Ron Johnson Continues Impeachment Bumbling - One Wisconsin Now - Nov 1st, 2019
- Sen. Johnson Says Trump Not Guilty - Corri Hess - Oct 31st, 2019
- Sensenbrenner Statement on Impeachment Resolution - U.S. Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner - Oct 31st, 2019
- Op Ed: Donald Trump’s Man in Ukraine - Mike Browne - Oct 29th, 2019
- Big Jump in State Support for Impeachment - Laurel White - Oct 24th, 2019
- Pocan Says Impeachment Vote Coming Soon - Laurel White - Oct 15th, 2019
- Wisconsin Politicians and Impeachment History - Robin Bravender - Oct 2nd, 2019
Recent Press Releases by One Wisconsin Now
State Supreme Court Candidate Co-Authored Column Opposing Efforts to Clean Up Court Campaigns
Over $14,000 from Board Members of Right-Wing Legal Group to State Court Justice’s Campaign
Dan Kelly Supporters Want Court Action to Allow Enforcement of Abortion Ban Dating to 19th Century