Call Bolton to Testify, Baldwin Urges
Former National Security advisor’s book says Trump froze Ukraine aid to force Biden investigation and implicates Ron Johnson.
Wisconsin Sen. Tammy Baldwin joined other Senate Democrats Monday urging the Senate to call former Trump national security advisor John Bolton to testify in the ongoing impeachment trial of President Donald Trump.
Following up on Twitter Monday afternoon, Baldwin urged Republican senators to join her: “It is my hope that my Republican friends would want to know if John Bolton has evidence that President Trump did not tell one of our colleagues the truth.”
The Democrats’ push for Bolton’s testimony followed leaks over the weekend of Bolton’s forthcoming memoir. The New York Times on Sunday night reported that Wisconsin’s other senator, Republican Ron Johnson, is mentioned in the manuscript of Bolton’s book, which has garnered widespread coverage for its statement that Trump, as charged in the impeachment, used the threat of freezing military aid to Ukraine in order to prod an investigation of former Vice President Joe Biden and his son, Hunter.
On Tuesday, Baldwin returned to Twitter to underscore the call for Bolton’s testimony — and to underscore the contradiction with Johnson’s comments. “If John Bolton is telling the truth then President Trump is not telling the truth,” Baldwin tweeted. She then repeated her call for Republicans to join in the demand for Bolton to testify.
In a separate Tweet, Baldwin called on Vice President Mike Pence to make public a classified account of his September telephone call with Ukrainian President Volodomyr Zelenski. A Pence aide in November submitted the memo as part of the impeachment investigation.
“I have reviewed the document from @VP Pence’s national security aide, Jennifer Williams, and I see no legitimate basis for it to be classified,” Baldwin tweeted. “This evidence should be made public by Vice President Pence. The American people should have all the facts and the truth.”
Baldwin issued that tweet as Pence was visiting Madison to promote Trump administration school privatization policies.
Reprinted with permission of Wisconsin Examiner.
More about the Impeachment of President Trump
- Op Ed: The Courage of Mitt Romney - Bill Kaplan - Feb 10th, 2020
- In Trump Acquittal, Wisconsin Legislators Divided - Robin Bravender and Ruth Conniff - Feb 6th, 2020
- Pocan: ‘A Cover-Up That Will Haunt our Democracy’ - U.S. Rep Mark Pocan - Feb 5th, 2020
- Johnson Votes to Conclude Impeachment Proceedings - U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson - Feb 3rd, 2020
- Call Bolton to Testify, Baldwin Urges - Erik Gunn - Jan 29th, 2020
- “Gut Check Time” For Senators, Baldwin Says - Shawn Johnson - Jan 28th, 2020
- Data Wonk: Measuring Republican Views on Impeachment - Bruce Thompson - Jan 2nd, 2020
- Data Wonk: Rep. Sensenbrenner’s Disappointing Column - Bruce Thompson - Dec 26th, 2019
- Pocan: ‘A Vote That Sets the Precedent for All Future Presidents’ - U.S. Rep Mark Pocan - Dec 18th, 2019
- It’s “Obvious” Senate Will Acquit Trump - Robin Bravender - Dec 18th, 2019
- Sensenbrenner Votes Against Weak Impeachment Articles after Partisan Committee Markup - U.S. Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner - Dec 13th, 2019
- Sensenbrenner Statement on Articles of Impeachment - U.S. Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner - Dec 10th, 2019
- Congresswoman Moore Supports Decision to Move Forward with Articles of Impeachment - U.S. Rep. Gwen Moore - Dec 5th, 2019
- Op Ed: Impeachment Depends on Facts - Bill Kaplan - Nov 26th, 2019
- State’s GOP Congressmen Skip Depositions - Robin Bravender - Nov 25th, 2019
- Why State Voters Cooled on Impeachment - Ruth Conniff - Nov 22nd, 2019
- Poll Shows Less Support For Impeachment - Miranda Suarez - Nov 21st, 2019
- Ron Johnson Attacks Vindman, Defends Trump - Ruth Conniff - Nov 20th, 2019
- Johnson Dodges Questions About Trump, Ukraine - Allison Stevens - Nov 7th, 2019
- Sen. Ron Johnson Continues Impeachment Bumbling - One Wisconsin Now - Nov 1st, 2019
- Sen. Johnson Says Trump Not Guilty - Corri Hess - Oct 31st, 2019
- Sensenbrenner Statement on Impeachment Resolution - U.S. Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner - Oct 31st, 2019
- Op Ed: Donald Trump’s Man in Ukraine - Mike Browne - Oct 29th, 2019
- Big Jump in State Support for Impeachment - Laurel White - Oct 24th, 2019
- Pocan Says Impeachment Vote Coming Soon - Laurel White - Oct 15th, 2019
- Wisconsin Politicians and Impeachment History - Robin Bravender - Oct 2nd, 2019