School safety package is rushed, needs significant fixes
"...first and foremost, it does nothing to keep guns out of the hands of dangerous criminals and those who shouldn't legally have them."
MADISON – Today, the Assembly Committee on Education held a public hearing on six bills being rushed through the legislative process with the stated intention of improving school safety. Representative David Bowen (D-Milwaukee) issued the following statement:
“There are several issues with this legislative package– first and foremost, it does nothing to keep guns out of the hands of dangerous criminals and those who shouldn’t legally have them. Any effort to keep kids safe from shooters should include universal background checks and other safety measures with overwhelming public support but Republicans unanimously voted against it.
“The $100 million spent in this rushed legislation is offered to schools through a grant program at the leisure of the Attorney General, who has publicly expressed support for the misguided policy of training teachers to be armed with guns. The Attorney General would have the ability to reject a district’s proposal at his department’s discretion, including based on whether or not that school’s plan includes arming teachers.
“Instead of leaving the safety of our schools up to the extreme policy preferences of the Attorney General, funding should be provided directly to schools to improve the safety. School districts know what their needs are, and creating more partisan red tape is the wrong direction for Wisconsin at a critical time.
“Let’s adequately fund our schools and allow districts to create their own individualized safety plans with students at the table.”
- Rep. Stubbs Statement on Shooting in Knoxville, TN - State Rep. Shelia Stubbs - Apr 12th, 2021
- Rep. Bowen Applauds Biden-Harris Administration for Executive Action to Curb Gun Violence in Our Communities - State Rep. David Bowen - Apr 8th, 2021
- Senator Agard Applauds President Biden Taking Steps to Address Gun Violence - State Sen. Melissa Agard - Apr 8th, 2021
- AG Kaul, Dem Lawmakers Push New Gun Laws - Laurel White - Apr 1st, 2021
- Senator Agard joins Attorney General Josh Kaul, Senator LaTonya Johnson in Support of Governor Evers’ Gun Safety Budget Provisions - State Sen. Melissa Agard - Apr 1st, 2021
- Op Ed: Gun Owners for Gun Control - Dave Cieslewicz - Mar 28th, 2021
- Rep. Bowen Condemns Anti-Asian Hate, Calls for Common Sense Gun Reform - State Rep. David Bowen - Mar 26th, 2021
- Senator Agard responds to Speaker Vos comments regarding gun reform legislation - State Sen. Melissa Agard - Mar 24th, 2021
- Rep. Stubbs Statement on Shooting in Boulder, Colorado - State Rep. Shelia Stubbs - Mar 23rd, 2021
- Senator Agard Responds to Boulder Shooting, Calls for Immediate Action on Gun Safety in Wisconsin - State Sen. Melissa Agard - Mar 23rd, 2021
Read more about Gun Violence here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by State Rep. David Bowen
“Like Altogether Too Many Others, This Killing Was Avoidable”
Rep. Bowen Applauds Biden-Harris Administration for Executive Action to Curb Gun Violence in Our CommunitiesApr 8th, 2021 by State Rep. David Bowen
“These Actions Are Not Only Welcome, They Will Undoubtedly Save Lives”
“An End to This Pandemic is in Sight for Our Communities”