Rep. Bowen Statement on Weekend Violence Downtown
Reducing Gun Violence Will Take GOP Concessions to Make the Jobs of Police Easier
MILWAUKEE – In response to multiple shootings in Downtown Milwaukee this weekend that left 21 people injured, State Rep. David Bowen (D-Milwaukee) released the following statement:
“Another weekend, another incidence of violence that has left our city & State with a black eye. And this time, it happened while the eyes of the world were on Wisconsin, as our beloved Bucks continued their title defense. Over 10,000 people from all over our city and state came together peacefully to celebrate the combination of great weather and an even better hometown team, and in the span of one evening, violence-minded individuals broke that peace and undermined our ability to safely gather as a community.
It is critical that we all come together and take a holistic approach to disrupt these patterns of violence. I want to thank all the first responders on the scene for their hard work, and commend the Milwaukee Police Department for responding to these incidents as quickly as they did. But solving this problem cannot be on the backs of the police alone – it takes ALL of us to end these cycles. It’s time to make the jobs of our police officers easier and help our communities at the same time: we must all educate our youth and also provide opportunities to ensure that young people and adults alike have safe spaces to live, work, and play, while also continuing to support the ongoing work of violence prevention professionals and law enforcement officials as they work to tackle this awful problem. Additionally, we as a community must examine new and innovative approaches to keep illegal guns as far away from large social and community gatherings as possible in order to prevent mass shootings. Milwaukee is a city of festivals and a candidate for large-scale events, and we must do everything we can to ensure that those beloved, family friendly gatherings that help bridge our community divides and bring visitors from all over into our community remain safe.
But again, we cannot overlook the fact that the easy availability of guns for criminals on our streets is not just contributing to this violence, but is driving it. No one in our state, whether people or businesses, benefits from continued gun violence, and without a serious reconsideration of our state’s lax gun laws, our citizens will continue to suffer needlessly.
By taking a holistic approach that involves community actions, violence prevention and interruption, and updating our gun safety laws, I truly believe that we can seriously reduce the violence that continues to plague our communities. I am committed to that vision, and I will continue to do everything in my power to ensure a safer future for everyone in our state!”
More about the Bar District Shootings
- Evers Awards $2.2 Million For City Policing - Jeramey Jannene - May 23rd, 2022
- 3 More Charged In Downtown Shooting That Left 17 Injured - Graham Kilmer - May 18th, 2022
- Milwaukee Will Enforce Citywide Curfew For Those 16 And Under - Jeramey Jannene - May 17th, 2022
- MPD and FBI Request Video Evidence from the Public Regarding Water Street Shootings - Milwaukee Police Department - May 17th, 2022
- Rep. Bowen Statement on Weekend Violence Downtown - State Rep. David Bowen - May 17th, 2022
- Downtown Curfew Instituted, Bucks Watch Party Canceled - Jeramey Jannene - May 14th, 2022
- MPD Arrests Multiple Suspects in Downtown Shootings - Milwaukee Police Department - May 14th, 2022
- MPD will enforce Mayor’s Proclamation - Milwaukee Police Department - May 14th, 2022
- Congresswoman Gwen Moore Statement on Mass Shooting in Milwaukee - U.S. Rep. Gwen Moore - May 14th, 2022
- 17 People Shot, 10 In Custody From Water Street Shooting - Jeramey Jannene - May 14th, 2022
Read more about Bar District Shootings here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by State Rep. David Bowen
Rep. Bowen Announces Bid for 1st District Common CouncilDec 21st, 2022 by State Rep. David Bowen
Bowen offers experienced leadership to work towards necessary solutions for Milwaukee
Rep. Bowen Statement on New Type 1 Youth Facility Site Selection in MilwaukeeAug 10th, 2022 by State Rep. David Bowen
With Site Selection, Evers Administration and DOC Take First Major Step to Finally Close Lincoln Hills
Rep. Bowen Statement on SCOTUS Decision Overturning Roe v. WadeJun 24th, 2022 by State Rep. David Bowen
Decision in Dobbs Goes Against the Will of the People and Will Hurt Marginalized Communities Most
One thought on “Rep. Bowen Statement on Weekend Violence Downtown”
Bowen still owes an apology for his violent actions against a police police officer in wauwatosa. Bowen should resign his position and apologize to the public for his violence and false claims.