Rep. Bowen: Statement on release of bodycam footage of Sterling Brown
"While it may have taken police violence against a high profile victim to once again raise public awareness, these unnecessarily escalated situations have become commonplace and officers continue to face little or no consequences."
“On the same day NFL owners barred players from protesting police violence, police violence against a black NBA player provided all the more reason to demand change.
“While it may have taken police violence against a high profile victim to once again raise public awareness, these unnecessarily escalated situations have become commonplace and officers continue to face little or no consequences.
“This footage is disturbing on many levels. The ‘I own this’ and ‘I get to do what I want’ claims of the officer expose an above the law element in the police department that shows exactly why community-police relations are still struggling and it must be eradicated.
“It was reported today that the officer who initially confronted Sterling Brown was suspended for two days. That is not sufficient corrective action to make long term changes to ensure the public is safe and that especially people of color can be treated with dignity and respect.
“If officers who lack integrity continue being allowed to fail the people they are sworn to serve and protect, it is time for coordinated state and local legislative action to enforce best practices to end police violence.”
- City Hall: Council Keeps Delaying on Sterling Brown Settlement - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 11th, 2021
- Rep. Brostoff Statement on Police Union Smears Against City Attorney Tearman Spencer - State Rep. Jonathan Brostoff - Nov 17th, 2020
- City Hall: Sterling Brown Payout Still Being Debated - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 17th, 2020
- City Hall: Bucks Player, City Reach $750,000 Settlement - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 9th, 2020
- Giannis Protest Mural Planned for Bay View Bar - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 2nd, 2020
- Court Watch: Police Officer Denies Stepping on Sterling Brown - Gretchen Schuldt - Feb 19th, 2020
- The Sterling Brown Case: More Details on Tasing of Bucks Player - Gretchen Schuldt - Nov 21st, 2019
- The Sterling Brown Case: ‘Could Have Been Dead People in Walgreens.’ - Gretchen Schuldt - Nov 11th, 2019
- City Attorney candidate Tearman Spencer releases statement on Sterling Brown case - Tearman Spencer - Oct 11th, 2019
- City Hall: Council Okays Settlement to Sterling Brown - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 4th, 2019
Read more about Sterling Brown Case here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by State Rep. David Bowen
“Like Altogether Too Many Others, This Killing Was Avoidable”
Rep. Bowen Applauds Biden-Harris Administration for Executive Action to Curb Gun Violence in Our CommunitiesApr 8th, 2021 by State Rep. David Bowen
“These Actions Are Not Only Welcome, They Will Undoubtedly Save Lives”
“An End to This Pandemic is in Sight for Our Communities”