Neighbors make voices heard regarding Strauss meat processing plant
Statement from Alderman Khalif J. Rainey October 18, 2019
As representative of the 7th Aldermanic District, my number one priority is to always reflect the interests and desires of those I serve. When the administration initially brought the Strauss meat processing plant proposal forward, I considered the prospect of bringing 250 jobs to Century City, with more to follow. However, in the 72-hour period since the Common Council considered the proposal I have received an overwhelming response from neighbors in opposition to the project.
I have long been a supporter of the Century City development, and believe it represents an opportunity to align the city’s north side with the economic drivers of the future, not those of our past. In keeping true to the vision of Century City, and standing for the interests of the people in the neighborhood, I do not believe the Strauss meat processing plant is a good utilization of that space. I am listening to the voices in my community, and I expect the administration to do same and withdraw their push for this proposal. I will also be asking the same of my colleagues, to support the will of my constituents. We will remain diligent and patient when it comes to creating a Century City that reflects the vision we as a community hope to achieve with this opportunity.
I want to thank all of the residents who took the time to make sure their voices were heard and Strauss for their interest in investing in Milwaukee. I look forward to continuing the discussion around this project and the future of Century City.
- FCA’s Legal Challenge Updated - Franklin Community Advocates - Dec 24th, 2020
- FCA Files Legal Challenge to Strauss Proposal - Franklin Community Advocates - Dec 3rd, 2020
- Back in the News: Could Strauss Plant Deal Be Revived? - Bruce Murphy - Dec 12th, 2019
- 5 Takeaways on Strauss Brands Debacle - Bridget Fogarty - Nov 6th, 2019
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Hamilton Keeping Door Open for Strauss - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 29th, 2019
- Murphy’s Law: Business Leader Blasts Council on Strauss Deal - Bruce Murphy - Oct 28th, 2019
- Murphy’s Law: Who Lost the Strauss Brands Deal? - Bruce Murphy - Oct 24th, 2019
- Strauss debacle a reflection of Mayor’s overall fiscal irresponsibility and failure to plan - Ald. Tony Zielinski - Oct 23rd, 2019
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Barrett Blasts Council On Strauss Deal - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 22nd, 2019
- Slaughterhouse Defeated in Milwaukee! Advocacy Groups, Aldermen and Neighbors Shut down the Strauss Brands Slaughterhouse Deal! - Slaughter Free Milwaukee - Oct 21st, 2019
Read more about Strauss Brands development here
Recent Press Releases by Ald. Khalif Rainey
Statement of Alderman Khalif J. Rainey May 21, 2021
Statement from Alderman Khalif J. Rainey May 6, 2021
Statement of Alderman Khalif J. Rainey April 30, 2021