Milwaukee Police release video detailing the use of chemical agents during six civil disturbance incidents
In response to Directive #1(f.), the Milwaukee Police Department is providing a “full, public and accurate explanation” of the use of chemical irritants during recent civil disturbances.
Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) 910 – Civil Disturbance and Crowd Management was approved by the Milwaukee Fire and Police Commission on March 5, 2020. This SOP defines a civil disturbance as an unlawful assembly that constitutes a breach of the peace or any assembly of persons where there is potential of imminent danger of collective violence, destruction of property, or other unlawful acts. These are typically, but not always, spontaneous occurrences requiring the emergency mobilization of police forces and related emergency services.
Over the course of the past several months, there have been at least 100 protests in the City of Milwaukee; however, there have been 6 instances when members of the Milwaukee Police Department have had to use chemical irritants to disperse unruly crowds.
Click the link to view the detailed description regarding these incidents:
- Op Ed: Chauvin Verdict Offers Glimmer of Hope - Angela Lang and Milwaukee BLOC Team - Apr 25th, 2021
- Protesters Rally After Chauvin Verdict - Graham Kilmer - Apr 21st, 2021
- Supervisor Taylor Statement on Derek Chauvin Guilty Verdict - Sup. Sequanna Taylor - Apr 21st, 2021
- Accountability should not be such a rare commodity - Ald. Milele Coggs - Apr 21st, 2021
- Statement on the verdict in the Derek Chauvin trial - Ald. Chantia Lewis - Apr 20th, 2021
- Statement from Milwaukee Police Department on Derek Chauvin Verdict - Milwaukee Police Department - Apr 20th, 2021
- Live Stream From Justice 4 George Floyd Rally - Urban Milwaukee - Apr 20th, 2021
- Gov. Evers Releases Statement on Verdict in Chauvin Trial - Gov. Tony Evers - Apr 20th, 2021
- County Executive David Crowley Statement on Derek Chauvin Trial Verdict - County Executive David Crowley - Apr 20th, 2021
- Sheriff Earnell R. Lucas Statement on the Verdicts in the Chauvin Trial - Earnell Lucas - Apr 20th, 2021
Read more about 2020 Racial Justice Protests here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Milwaukee Public Schools
Superintendent focuses on essential investments
Bob Peterson will serve as Board Chair and Sequanna Taylor will serve as Vice President
All Athletics Activities Will Follow MPS’s Return-to-Play Game Plan