League of Women Voters of Wisconsin Files Brief to Protect Registered Voters from Polling List Purge
[MADISON, Wis.] – On Monday, July 13, the League of Women Voters of Wisconsin (LWVWI) filed an amicus curiae brief in the Wisconsin Supreme Court to protect voters from being erroneously removed from polling lists of registered voters.
“Attempts to utilize data that is known to be flawed are attempts to suppress votes, plain and simple,” said Debra Cronmiller, LWVWI executive director. “The League of Women Voters of Wisconsin will continue to protect voters by ensuring those who are validly registered are not inappropriately removed from the polling book.”
In the brief, LWVWI asks the court to uphold a lower court’s decision to stay the order for the Wisconsin Elections Commission (WEC) to refrain from purging voters from the polling lists of registered voters based on information provided by the ERIC movers list.
In October 2019, the WEC mailed out letters to 232,579 registered Wisconsin voters on the 2019-2020 ERIC list. As of May 20, 2020, 4,709 voters on that list have confirmed that they have not moved to a new address. The November election may identify countless more voters that have been erroneously identified as having moved.
The filed brief can be found here.
NOTE: This press release was submitted to Urban Milwaukee and was not written by an Urban Milwaukee writer. It has not been verified for its accuracy or completeness.
- Murphy’s Law: WILL’s Harvard Lawyers Fail at Voter Purge - Bruce Murphy - Apr 12th, 2021
- State Supreme Court Tosses Voter Purge Suit - Shawn Johnson - Apr 9th, 2021
- WILL President Rick Esenberg on Supreme Court Decision in Zignego v. WEC - Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty - Apr 9th, 2021
- WEC Statement Regarding Wisconsin Supreme Court Decision - Wisconsin Elections Commission - Apr 9th, 2021
- High Court Urged to Okay 5% Error Rate in Voter Purge - Henry Redman - Sep 30th, 2020
- Court to Rule on Purging 130,000 from Voter Rolls - Laurel White - Sep 29th, 2020
- League of Women Voters of Wisconsin Files Brief to Protect Registered Voters from Polling List Purge - League of Women Voters of Wisconsin - Jul 14th, 2020
- State High Court Narrows Chance of Voter Purge - Laurel White - Jul 1st, 2020
- Voter Purge Push Threatens 129,000 Names - Michael Parsky, Kynala Phillips and Dana Munro - Jun 14th, 2020
- Op Ed: Dan Kelly Wants Revenge - Matt Rothschild - Jun 2nd, 2020
Read more about 2020 Voter Purge here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by League of Women Voters of Wisconsin
The National Popular Vote Interstate Compact bill would guarantee the Presidency to the candidate who receives the most popular votes in the nation