Joel Acevedo deserves justice
Statement of Alderwoman JoCasta Zamarripa September 3, 2020
When the Milwaukee Fire and Police Commission (FPC) took over the investigation into Mattioli – only to give it back to the MPD this week to conduct their own investigation – the FPC failed Joel Acevedo.
But perhaps most significantly, Joel has been failed by the Wisconsin State Legislature, who via state statute allows disgraced police officers, like Officer Mattioli, who have been charged with something as heinous as murder, to continue to draw a paycheck and all of the benefits and prestige of maintaining their position, their title, their pension and more.
And I am beside myself with anger and frustration.
Mattioli, a sworn law enforcement officer, killed Joel Acevedo. And we have a police department and a civilian oversight commission playing “hot potato” while a state and city struggle with the issue of police brutality, while a family mourns, and while a cop continues to get paid after being charged with murder.
As the only Milwaukee alderperson who also holds a seat in the Wisconsin State Assembly, I have drafted a bill to repeal the infuriating practice of allowing law enforcement to continue to be compensated and employed after being suspended and charged for a felonious act like homicide.
I implore my legislative colleagues to sign on and pass it into state law as soon as possible.
And I call on my city colleagues to continue to push for reform at City Hall and beyond. The status quo is unacceptable.
NOTE: This press release was submitted to Urban Milwaukee and was not written by an Urban Milwaukee writer. It has not been verified for its accuracy or completeness.
- Statement on verdict in Joel Acevedo homicide trial - Milwaukee Common Council - Nov 14th, 2023
- Judge Rules Acevedo Video Can Be Released - Corri Hess - May 5th, 2021
- Body Cameras Key To Charges Against Police - Corri Hess - May 4th, 2021
- Acevedo Family Pledges Push For Justice - Isiah Holmes - Dec 29th, 2020
- Officer Accused Of Reckless Homicide Resigns - Corri Hess - Sep 9th, 2020
- Mayor Tom Barrett released the following statement: - Mayor Tom Barrett - Sep 8th, 2020
- Joel Acevedo deserves justice - Ald. JoCasta Zamarripa - Sep 3rd, 2020
- Milwaukee Police Department Decides to Move Forward with the Internal Investigation of the Off-Duty Incident Involving Officer Michael Mattioli - Milwaukee Police Department - Sep 2nd, 2020
- Can Police Be Defunded? - Allison Dikanovic - Jul 26th, 2020
- Independent Business Association of Wisconsin Stands With Milwaukee Police Chief Morales - Independent Business Association of Wisconsin - Jul 20th, 2020
Read more about Case of Officer Michael Mattioli here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Ald. JoCasta Zamarripa
Statement of Alderwoman JoCasta Zamarripa March 31, 2023
Statement of Alderwoman JoCasta Zamarripa and Alderman Scott Spiker March 3, 2023