IBEW Local 494 Statement on Colectivo’s Union-Busting Meetings
MILWAUKEE – The following statement was released by International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) Local 494 Business Manager Dean A. Warsh on Colectivo’s employee meetings:
Today, February 17th, Colectivo owners are hosting a presentation for their employees with union avoidance consultants from LRI Consulting Services. The presentation is designed to convince workers to vote no in their upcoming union election.
Colectivo has said they have been forced to eliminate positions, lay workers off, cut working hours, and demanded full availability from their workers prohibiting them from taking a second job to survive. They have repeatedly told their work force there is no money. Colectivo continues to presents itself as a champion of free speech yet in contrast to what they say, Colectivo has hired union busters from LRI to hold these captive audience meetings with their workers.
Colectivo advised in an email sent to the IBEW, they want their employees to have the opportunity to “VOTE WITHOUT COERCION”. But today in Milwaukee they are spending thousands of dollars to hold one-sided captive audience meetings in the hopes of preventing these workers from building collective power and voting to form their union with the IBEW.
Using union-busting tactics to intimidate workers is one more tool in the toolbox that the global elite uses to keep workers from exercising their rights to improve their working conditions by joining a union.
Employees and community members will be handing out fliers to other employees of Colectivo before the meetings with union busters at these Colectivo locations and times:
The Back Room
2211 N. Prospect Avenue
2301 S. Kinnickinnic Ave
- IBEW Local 494 Statement on Colectivo’s Union-Busting Meetings - International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 494 - Feb 17th, 2021
- Colectivo Workers Petition for Union Election - Graham Kilmer - Feb 16th, 2021
- Colectivo Closes Prospect Avenue Cafe - Graham Kilmer - Jan 18th, 2021
- Murphy’s Law: Local Unions Confront The Wealthy - Bruce Murphy - Nov 30th, 2020
- Colectivo Union Pushes ‘Reverse Boycott’ - Graham Kilmer - Nov 25th, 2020
- Did Colectivo Hire Union Busters? - Graham Kilmer - Oct 8th, 2020
- Mayor Tom Barrett released the following statement on workers organizing at Colectivo: - Mayor Tom Barrett - Oct 2nd, 2020
- County Supervisors Express Support for Colectivo Workers Union - Milwaukee County Board of Supervisors - Sep 25th, 2020
- We have your back, Colectivo workers - Milwaukee Common Council - Sep 22nd, 2020
- Colectivo workers deserve a platform to have their voices heard - Ald. Khalif Rainey - Sep 21st, 2020
Read more about Union Effort at Colectivo here