Governor Walker Signs “Mining for America” Bill into Law in Rhinelander
This bill eliminates the “mining moratorium” on the issuance of permits for the mining of sulfide ore.
MADISON – Governor Scott Walker signed the “Mining for America” bill into law today at the Rhinelander / Oneida County Airport. The bill eliminates the “mining moratorium” on the issuance of permits for sulfide ore mining without changing environmental standards.
“Mining is a vital piece of Wisconsin’s history and is at the core of our cultural identity,” said Governor Walker. “With this new bill, we’re paying tribute to our state’s rich roots in the field and creating new family-supporting careers in the mining industry, all while protecting our abundant and valuable natural resources.”
Assembly Bill 499 – This bill eliminates the “mining moratorium” on the issuance of permits for the mining of sulfide ore. Additionally, the Department of Natural Resources must find that the technology to be used at a proposed mine is capable of resulting in compliance with air, groundwater, surface water, and solid/hazardous waste management laws. Authored by Senator Tom Tiffany (R—Hazelhurst) and Representative Rob Hutton (R—Brookfield), the bill passed the Senate on a vote of 19-14 and was concurred in the Assembly on vote of 53-38. It is Act 134.
More about the Senate Bill 395
- Governor Gives Corporate Mining Polluters an Early Gift - Wisconsin League of Conservation Voters - Dec 11th, 2017
- Governor Walker Signs “Mining for America” Bill into Law in Rhinelander - Gov. Scott Walker - Dec 11th, 2017
- Campaign Cash: New GOP Pro-Mining Group Ran Attack Ads - Wisconsin Democracy Campaign - Nov 10th, 2017
- Senate Strikes Job-Creating Gold with Final Passage of Mining for America Act - AFP Wisconsin - Nov 7th, 2017
- Rep. Brostoff Condemns the Sulfide Mining Bill - State Rep. Jonathan Brostoff - Nov 7th, 2017
- Their Trick is No Treat for Wisconsin’s Natural Resources - Wisconsin League of Conservation Voters - Oct 31st, 2017
- Sportsmen and Elected Leaders Speak Out Against Sulfide Mining Bill - Wisconsin League of Conservation Voters - Oct 13th, 2017
- Op Ed: What Happened to Wisconsin? - State Sen. Mark Miller - Oct 12th, 2017
- Mining Bill is a Disaster that No Amendment Can Fix - Wisconsin League of Conservation Voters - Oct 3rd, 2017
- Op Ed: Flambeau Mine Was Bad For State - Raj Shukla - Sep 23rd, 2017
- Op Ed: Mining Hearing Gets Ugly - Al Gedicks - Sep 21st, 2017
- Corporate Mining Handout Overwhelmingly Unpopular - Wisconsin League of Conservation Voters - Sep 21st, 2017
Recent Press Releases by Gov. Scott Walker
Governor Walker Orders Flags to Half-Staff as a Mark of Respect for Captain Christopher Truman of the Lake Mills Fire DepartmentJan 3rd, 2019 by Gov. Scott Walker
Captain Truman died on December 31, 2018, while selflessly assisting a driver of a crashed vehicle on Highway 12 near the Yahara River Bridge in Monona, Wisconsin.
Governor Scott Walker today appointed Attorney Scott J. Nordstrand to serve as a judge on the St. Croix County Circuit Court and Attorney David Meany to the position of Ashland County District Attorney.
Chilsen represented the 29th Senate District for six terms from 1967-1990