Gov. Evers’ Statement on Shooting at Oshkosh West High School
"We can’t just accept that violence in our schools is a foregone conclusion, and we have to get to work to do everything we can to keep our kids and our communities safe."
MADISON — Gov. Tony Evers today issued the following statement on the shooting at Oshkosh West High School:
“What happened in Oshkosh today hits especially close to home for Kathy and I—two of our kids graduated from Oshkosh West when our family lived in Oshkosh, and our hearts go out to all of the folks at Oshkosh West and the Oshkosh community as they grapple with today’s events.
It’s impossible to ignore the fact that in addition to today’s officer-involved shooting at Oshkosh West, the Sparta School District is closed due to security threats, and that this happened just a day after we had another school shooting at Waukesha South. I said it yesterday and I’ll say it again today—no kid should be afraid to go to school or be in the classroom, and no parent should be afraid to send their kid to school, either. The last two days tells us that we can’t keep pretending that this only happens in other communities or in other states—it’s happening here, too. We can’t just accept that violence in our schools is a foregone conclusion, and we have to get to work to do everything we can to keep our kids and our communities safe.”
Office of the Governor
More about the Oshkosh West High School Shooting
- After Shootings Officials Discuss School Safety - Terry Falk - Dec 6th, 2019
- Police Investigating Multiple School Threats - Isiah Holmes - Dec 5th, 2019
- 12% of Students Feel Unsafe in School - Corri Hess - Dec 5th, 2019
- UPDATE: Oshkosh West High School Officer Involved Shooting - Josh Kaul - Dec 4th, 2019
- Gov. Evers’ Statement on Shooting at Oshkosh West High School - Gov. Tony Evers - Dec 3rd, 2019
- School Shootings Raise Safety Concerns - Isiah Holmes - Dec 3rd, 2019
- Statement on Shooting at Oshkosh West High School - State Rep. Gordon Hintz - Dec 3rd, 2019
- Rep. Robyn Vining Responds to Recent Violence and Threats at High Schools - State Rep. Robyn Vining - Dec 3rd, 2019
Recent Press Releases by Gov. Tony Evers