Statement on Shooting at Oshkosh West High School
"I reject the premise that students today must simply learn to live with the constant prospect of terror and violence when they attend school, or go about their lives in any other public space."
MADISON – Assembly Democratic Leader Gordon Hintz (D-Oshkosh) released the following statement on today’s shooting at Oshkosh West High School:
“Less than 24 hours after the incident at Waukesha South High School, I am profoundly saddened to see my own friends, constituents, and neighbors having to come together to cope with an officer-involved shooting of a student at Oshkosh West. Our community is fortunate that no lives were lost today, and I am deeply appreciative of the staff and law enforcement who acted to keep our students safe.
“As an elected leader, every day I feel the urgency of a public that is looking for answers and deserves leadership from their government officials on reducing incidents like this. I reject the premise that students today must simply learn to live with the constant prospect of terror and violence when they attend school, or go about their lives in any other public space. In Wisconsin and across the country, we are deserving of leaders who are willing to step up and address this growing public health crisis.”
More about the Oshkosh West High School Shooting
- UPDATE: Oshkosh West High School Officer Involved Shooting - Josh Kaul - Dec 4th, 2019
- Gov. Evers’ Statement on Shooting at Oshkosh West High School - Gov. Tony Evers - Dec 3rd, 2019
- School Shootings Raise Safety Concerns - Isiah Holmes - Dec 3rd, 2019
- Statement on Shooting at Oshkosh West High School - State Rep. Gordon Hintz - Dec 3rd, 2019
- Rep. Robyn Vining Responds to Recent Violence and Threats at High Schools - State Rep. Robyn Vining - Dec 3rd, 2019
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by State Rep. Gordon Hintz
"My heart is with the Waukesha community and the students, teachers, and families who are coping with today’s terrifying events."
Republicans continue their embarrassing history of degrading our democracy
"The bottom line is that indefensible adherence to extreme ideology on gun violence is a bigger priority for Republicans than reducing the number of suicides."