Gov. Evers Calls on President Trump to Listen to Farmers, End Unproductive Trade Wars
"As many farmers will tell you, aid payments cannot make up for what they’ve lost financially or personally."
MADISON — Gov. Tony Evers today called on President Donald Trump to listen to farmers and put an end to the unnecessary trade war between the United States and our international partners, including China.
The president’s never-ending tariffs are having a direct, negative impact on many industries in Wisconsin, but perhaps none more than agriculture, an $88 billion industry in Wisconsin that employs one out of every nine workers in our state.
Gov. Evers knows that when our farmers thrive, our rural communities thrive, and the ripple effect continues across our entire state.
In the letter, Gov. Evers notes that, “One Tweet can harm thousands of Wisconsin citizens who make their living in our agricultural industry. As many farmers will tell you, aid payments cannot make up for what they’ve lost financially or personally. A government check simply does not make up for the pride they felt knowing they were getting a fair price for their high-quality corn, soybeans, or ginseng.”
Gov. Evers is focused on maintaining Wisconsin’s successful relationships abroad and investing in programs that help Wisconsin producers gain access to global markets and improve their presence in local ones.
“Farmers want trade more than government aid,” Gov. Evers wrote. “They deserve better than short-sighted trade wars that do lasting damage to their businesses and their heritage. They have told us what we can do to support them, and tariffs are not on the list.”
Read the full letter to President Trump here.
Office of the Governor
- Murphy’s Law: Trump Tariffs Slam Wisconsin Economy - Bruce Murphy - Jun 29th, 2020
- Baldwin Calling on Trump Administration to Take Action and Support Wisconsin Hardwood Businesses Hurt by Trade War - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Feb 25th, 2020
- Trade War Wounds May Heal Soon - Erik Gunn - Feb 21st, 2020
- How China Trade Agreement Impacts Wisconsin Farmers - Miranda Suarez - Jan 16th, 2020
- Trump Tariffs Have Cost State $800 Million - Miranda Suarez - Dec 10th, 2019
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Seeks Investigation into Possible Market Manipulation Regarding Market Bets Timed to Trump’s Comments on Trade War & Other Geopolitical Events - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Oct 21st, 2019
- Port Milwaukee Shipping Up in 2019 - Danielle Kaeding - Oct 21st, 2019
- Stuck to Gallagher: Does Your Party Care About Small Business? - State Rep. Amanda Stuck - Oct 10th, 2019
- Evers Blasts Trump “Tweet” Trade Wars - Erik Gunn - Sep 16th, 2019
- Donald Trump’s Administration Laughs in the Face of Struggling Farmers - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Aug 13th, 2019
Read more about Trump Tariffs here
Recent Press Releases by Gov. Tony Evers
Gov. Evers Announces Successful Roll Out of Online COVID-19 Test Registration at National Guard Testing SitesJul 9th, 2020 by Gov. Tony Evers
COVID Connect provides shorter wait times and faster results