German Fest is Canceled
Milwaukee, WI — Friday, April 10, 2020 — German Fest Milwaukee, Inc., parent organization of German Fest, Wisconsin’s largest German heritage festival, announced today that it is cancelling it’s 3-day event, originally scheduled for July 24-26, 2020 at the Henry W. Maier festival grounds.
“This decision was not arrived at lightly. Our Board of Directors took many scenarios into consideration.” said Eric Radue, Festival President. “After much consideration and deliberation, the only responsible option for our attendees and our many dedicated Volunteers was to cancel German Fest this year.”
This is the first time German Fest has been cancelled in its history. For 40 years, German Fest has been a staple of Milwaukee, WI and Southeast WI – a celebration of culture, music, traditions, family and heritage that is cherished by thousands. Founded in 1981, it was intended to instill in this community an appreciation for the German heritage that so many of its residents share. What began as a city festival is now an event of international proportions. More than 80,000 people typically attend German Fest each year.
“With the current Covid-19 situation in the U.S. the health and safety of everyone involved with German Fest, from the Vendors and Volunteers, to the Bands and festival Attendees is of the utmost importance” said Radue. “It’s an unfortunate situation, and totally unforeseen, but we will take the steps necessary to support public health. German Fest will be back in 2021 to celebrate our 40th festival in style. German Style that is.”
German Fest Milwaukee, Inc. would like to thank the thousands of faithful fest-goers who have supported this event for 40 years. The multigenerational families who turned out as volunteers and attendees are the essence of what make this fest so special. While it is regrettable to alter a tradition like this, suspending the festival this year is the responsible thing to do.
If you received a free ticket at German Fest in 2019 for 2020, they WILL be honored in 2021. Please hang on to them. If you purchased tickets online or group tickets, these will also be honored in 2021.
Thank you for your continued support.
German Fest Milwaukee, Inc. Board of Directors
- Gov. Evers, DCF Announce Plan to Support Early Care and Education Providers, Partners, and Wisconsin Families - Gov. Tony Evers - Mar 4th, 2021
- WI Daily: 539 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Mar 3rd, 2021
- City Aims To Vaccinate Every Educator In Two Weeks - Graham Kilmer - Mar 3rd, 2021
- NEW: Senator Johnson Plans to Delay COVID Relief Through Senate Stunt - Opportunity Wisconsin - Mar 3rd, 2021
- Evers Says Schools May Need Summer Classes - Shawn Johnson - Mar 3rd, 2021
- City Hires Private Firm To Track COVID-19 Violations - Graham Kilmer - Mar 3rd, 2021
- Racine Prison Quarantines Entire Housing Unit - Isiah Holmes - Mar 3rd, 2021
- WI Daily: 324 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Mar 2nd, 2021
- 34 Vaccine Doses Spoil at Wisconsin Center - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 2nd, 2021
- 8.7% of State Now Fully Vaccinated - Graham Kilmer - Mar 2nd, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by German Fest Milwaukee
Registration for the eighth annual Dachshund Derby at German Fest is open and awaiting submittals from the short-statured competitors.