County Supervisor Supreme Moore Omokunde Statement on the Shooting of Jacob Blake
“Before the inevitable dehumanization campaign begins—and while we ‘wait for more information’ to help us determine whether or not Jacob Blake’s dignity will be taken into consideration—I want to remind folks of the numerous incidents where white or white presenting men in predominantly white communities have pointed rifles at law enforcement officers and were taken into custody with little to no exchange in gunfire.
I would also like to remind folks that narratives about depression, alcoholism, the pressures of quarantining from COVID-19 and the like are used to capture the humanity of white men when interacting with law enforcement, which is a luxury not afforded to Black men in our society.
While our primary focus is on Jacob, his family and his full recovery, we must hold the officers involved and the Kenosha Police Department accountable for the assault on his life.
It is impossible for a Black man to be seen as unarmed when interacting with law enforcement if you have weaponized his Blackness.”
- Kenosha Activists Arrested During Protest of Jacob Blake - Henry Redman - May 6th, 2021
- Body Cameras Key To Charges Against Police - Corri Hess - May 4th, 2021
- Wisconsin Police Donated to Officer that Shot Jacob Blake - Jenny Peek and Corrinne Hess - Apr 16th, 2021
- Kenosha activists respond to tonight’s Officer Sheskey announcement - Leaders of Kenosha - Apr 13th, 2021
- Kenosha Police Department Statement on Officer Rusten Sheskey’s Return From Administrative Leave - Kenosha Police Department - Apr 13th, 2021
- Jacob Blake Sues Kenosha Officer Who Shot Him - Corri Hess - Mar 26th, 2021
- Community Leaders Lament Jacob Blake Decision - PrincessSafiya Byers - Jan 9th, 2021
- Rep. Robyn Vining Responds to Kenosha DA Decision - State Rep. Robyn Vining - Jan 7th, 2021
- Body Cameras Would Have Helped Jacob Blake Shooting Investigation - Corri Hess - Jan 7th, 2021
- Joint Statement on Charging Decision in Jacob Blake Case - Milwaukee Common Council - Jan 6th, 2021
Read more about Shooting of Jacob Blake here