Council overrides mayoral veto of COP house initiative
Statement of Alderwoman Milele A. Coggs - November 28, 2018
With the Mayor’s signing of the last of the 2019 budget amendments, we now have a completed 2019 city budget. I would like to thank my Common Council colleagues for their hard work throughout the budget process and their solid support in overriding Mayor Tom Barrett’s veto of the COP house initiative I sponsored and the Council approved as part of the 2019 adopted city budget.
The initiative will establish four neighborhood COP (Community Oriented Policing) houses in areas that need additional attention in terms of overall crime reduction and community improvement. The centers will be operated in partnership with the Milwaukee Promise Zones organizations, the Milwaukee Police Department and others.
COP houses have been shown to increase police-community engagement and positive interaction while reducing neighborhood crime and it is my strong hope that Milwaukee can see an overall improvement in quality of life in areas served by the COP houses.
I look forward to working closely with my colleagues, the Milwaukee Police Department and our partner organizations as we establish these first-ever Milwaukee COP houses.
More about the 2019 Milwaukee Budget
- Council overrides mayoral veto of COP house initiative - Ald. Milele Coggs - Nov 28th, 2018
- Common Council Overrides Mayor’s Veto on Amendment Tackling Neighborhood Blight - Ald. Bob Bauman - Nov 27th, 2018
- City Hall: Council Slaps Down Mayor’s Vetoes - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 27th, 2018
- City Hall: Barrett Issues 5 Budget Vetoes - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 26th, 2018
- City Hall: 10 Curious Details in City’s 2019 Budget - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 14th, 2018
- City Hall: Council Adopts 2019 City Budget - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 13th, 2018
- City Hall: Barrett Unveils 2019 Budget Proposal - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 25th, 2018
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Ald. Milele Coggs
Omnibus budget amendment supports birthing moms pilot, violence interrupters, participatory budget initiative and moreNov 1st, 2019 by Ald. Milele Coggs
News release from Alderwoman Milele A. Coggs
Statement of Alderwoman Milele A. Coggs
“I strongly encourage residents to attend Riverworks Week events and to see what the district has to offer,” said Milele A. Coggs.