Council approves amended bus rapid transit resolution
Legislation protects city taxpayers and city priorities
The Common Council today unanimously approved an amended resolution that puts conditions on any possible City of Milwaukee involvement in the future development of a bus rapid transit (BRT) line along the East-West Corridor through portions of the city.
Alderman Michael J. Murphy, the lead sponsor on the legislation (Council file # 170541), said the resolution provides clear protections for city taxpayers and city interests if the BRT is moved forward by Milwaukee County and the Milwaukee County Transit System. He said the plan to use dedicated traffic lanes for east-west BRT buses on W. Blue Mound Rd. was “simply not practical.”
“After careful review of the BRT analysis and listening to area citizens and businesses at various public hearings, it doesn’t seem practical to develop and use single, dedicated lanes west of Hawley Road (on Blue Mound). The only way this project could move forward is if the BRT buses operate in mixed traffic,” Alderman Murphy said. Legislation co-sponsor Alderman Robert J. Bauman said the amended resolution approved today also includes other key requirements and stipulations.
“The amended resolution stipulates that the city ‘shall not incur any direct or indirect expenses, including the forfeiture of any revenue, related to the development or operation of the BRT system’ and that it ‘shall not contribute financially to the development or management of the BRT system, nor provide assistance or management of the BRT system, unless reimbursed,’” Alderman Bauman said. Alderman Murphy said he and Alderman Bauman will continue to keep a close eye on the County-led BRT project and will make sure citizens are kept informed about developments.
News release from Aldermen Michael J. Murphy and Robert J. Bauman
More about the East-West BRT Line
- MCTS Submits Updated Application for Bus Rapid Transit Funding - Milwaukee County Transit System - Sep 8th, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Council Approves BRT Route Restrictions - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 1st, 2017
- Council approves amended bus rapid transit resolution - Ald. Michael Murphy - Jul 31st, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: City Fighting County on Rapid Transit - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 19th, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Give Your Input on BRT Project - Jeramey Jannene - Jun 7th, 2017
- Plenty of Horne: $2 Million BRT Study Underway - Michael Horne - Feb 6th, 2017
- Quito’s BRT, a Model for Milwaukee? - Ken Smith - Nov 14th, 2016
- Eyes on Milwaukee: City Approves Bus Rapid Transit - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 26th, 2016
- Eyes on Milwaukee: City Panel Approves Bus Rapid Transit - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 13th, 2016
- Murphy’s Law: Does Anyone Oppose Bus Rapid Transit? - Bruce Murphy - Jun 7th, 2016
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Bus Rapid Transit Meetings This Week - Jeramey Jannene - Apr 12th, 2016
- County Plans for Bus Rapid Transit - Matthew Wisla - Jan 16th, 2016
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Ald. Michael Murphy
News release from Alderman Michael J. Murphy
Grant awarded by the Walt Disney Company