City Attorney candidate Tearman Spencer releases statement on Sterling Brown case
"It’s unfortunate that the City Attorney has been ineffective in his representation of the city, escalating the fight with the plaintiff rather than bringing the matter to a close."
MILWAUKEE– Candidate for Milwaukee City Attorney Tearman Spencer released the following statement today regarding the City of Milwaukee’s settlement controversy in the arrest of Milwaukee Bucks player Sterling Brown:
“It’s unfortunate that the City Attorney has been ineffective in his representation of the city, escalating the fight with the plaintiff rather than bringing the matter to a close. And he’s been ineffective for years in helping the MPD improve its practices so these issues don’t arise in the first place. That’s why I’m running, to change the attitude of that office. We must protect taxpayers, and the way to do that is to do the hard proactive work to make things better, and then provide effective representation.”
Born and raised in Milwaukee, Spencer attended Milwaukee Public Schools. He earned an engineering degree from the University of Southern California and became an award-winning safety engineer, focusing on transportation infrastructure including dams, bridges, tunnels, and rail and aviation systems. Spencer was then diagnosed with a degenerative condition that confined him to a wheelchair, and while striving to recover, earned a Masters in Business Administration from Golden Gate University. He learned to walk again, and then later received a Juris Doctor (law degree) from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
Spencer for Milwaukee
More about the Sterling Brown Case
- The Sterling Brown Case: More Details on Tasing of Bucks Player - Gretchen Schuldt - Nov 21st, 2019
- The Sterling Brown Case: ‘Could Have Been Dead People in Walgreens.’ - Gretchen Schuldt - Nov 11th, 2019
- City Attorney candidate Tearman Spencer releases statement on Sterling Brown case - Tearman Spencer - Oct 11th, 2019
- City Hall: Council Okays Settlement to Sterling Brown - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 4th, 2019
- City Attorney Shifts Blame to Sterling Brown - State Sen. Lena Taylor - Aug 29th, 2018
- Joint Statement on the Sterling Brown case - Milwaukee Common Council - Aug 29th, 2018
- Op Ed: Jim Crow and Urban America - Dr. Robert S. Smith - Jun 25th, 2018
- Brown Files Suit Against Milwaukee Police - Ximena Conde - Jun 19th, 2018
- Chief Won’t Name Cops Who Tased Brown - Ximena Conde - May 25th, 2018
- Sterling Brown incident authenticates predictions from years past - Ald. Tony Zielinski - May 25th, 2018
- Mahlon Mitchell Statement on the Release of Body Cam Footage Involving Sterling Brown - Mahlon Mitchell - May 24th, 2018
- Supervisor Moore Omokunde Statement on Sterling Brown Video - Sup. Supreme Moore Omokunde - May 24th, 2018
- City Hall: Police Reform Needed, Say Council Members - Jeramey Jannene - May 24th, 2018
- Rep. Bowen: Statement on release of bodycam footage of Sterling Brown - State Rep. David Bowen - May 24th, 2018
- Sterling Brown case leaves us with many unanswered questions - Ald. Bob Donovan - May 24th, 2018
- Supervisor Nicholson Statement on Sterling Brown Incident - Sup. Marcelia Nicholson - May 24th, 2018
- Gov. Scott Walker Quick to Weigh in on NFL Player Protests, Silent on Release of Footage Showing Authorities Assaulting Milwaukee Buck Sterling Brown - One Wisconsin Now - May 24th, 2018
- Murphy’s Law: Police Video Gets National Attention - Bruce Murphy - May 24th, 2018
- Black Leaders Organizing for Communities (BLOC) calls for accountability for officers involved in the Sterling Brown video - Black Leaders Organizing for Communities - May 23rd, 2018
- Bucks Organization Statement on Sterling Brown - Milwaukee Bucks - May 23rd, 2018
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Tearman Spencer
"The City Attorney has a tremendous ability to affect city policy, and it’s time for new leadership that will bring public accountability to the office."
"I’m ready to put my experience to work for my fellow residents of the City of Milwaukee."