Celebrating the Life of Quanita ‘Tay’ Jackson
"Tay was a talented rapper and vocalist who used her art to spread a message of love and light."
(MILWAUKEE) – Quanita ‘Tay’ Jackson, 20, was fatally shot on Sunday, August 25 near Moody Park in Milwaukee. To honor the life and legacy of Ms. Jackson, a candlelight vigil will be held today, August 26th, 2019 from 6:30-8:00 PM at COA Goldin Center at 2320 W. Burleigh Street. The Office of Violence Prevention, Milwaukee’s Trauma Response Team and mental health professionals will be in attendance to offer necessary resources and support to the loved ones of Ms. Jackson.
Sen. Lena Taylor released the following statement regarding Ms. Jackson’s passing:
“I had the opportunity to spend time with Ms. Jackson on Saturday for the Amani/Moody Park 3 vs 3 Tournament she helped organize and I can attest that Ms. Jackson was a bright light to everyone who knew her. Tay was a community activist and a natural leader who advocated against the exact type of violence that cut her life much too short. During this time of immense pain, we will keep Tay’s spirit alive by holding her loved ones up to God, coming together as a community and celebrating the life and achievements of this extraordinary young woman.
She had a positive vision not only for herself but for her community. She participated in a variety of community programs, including Skylight Music Theatre, Fresh Empire: Non-Smoking Campaign, COA, Program The Parks MKE and TRUE Skool. Tay was a talented rapper and vocalist who used her art to spread a message of love and light. Tay has been called home, but I know her spirit and the impact she had on our city will never be forgotten. Rest in Paradise Queen Quanita Tay Jackson!”
Thank you to the organizations sponsoring the vigil: COA Goldin Center, Park People Program Milwaukee Office of Violence Prevention, Residents of the Moody Park area and the entire community.
- Rep. Stubbs Statement on Shooting in Knoxville, TN - State Rep. Shelia Stubbs - Apr 12th, 2021
- Rep. Bowen Applauds Biden-Harris Administration for Executive Action to Curb Gun Violence in Our Communities - State Rep. David Bowen - Apr 8th, 2021
- Senator Agard Applauds President Biden Taking Steps to Address Gun Violence - State Sen. Melissa Agard - Apr 8th, 2021
- AG Kaul, Dem Lawmakers Push New Gun Laws - Laurel White - Apr 1st, 2021
- Senator Agard joins Attorney General Josh Kaul, Senator LaTonya Johnson in Support of Governor Evers’ Gun Safety Budget Provisions - State Sen. Melissa Agard - Apr 1st, 2021
- Op Ed: Gun Owners for Gun Control - Dave Cieslewicz - Mar 28th, 2021
- Rep. Bowen Condemns Anti-Asian Hate, Calls for Common Sense Gun Reform - State Rep. David Bowen - Mar 26th, 2021
- Senator Agard responds to Speaker Vos comments regarding gun reform legislation - State Sen. Melissa Agard - Mar 24th, 2021
- Rep. Stubbs Statement on Shooting in Boulder, Colorado - State Rep. Shelia Stubbs - Mar 23rd, 2021
- Senator Agard Responds to Boulder Shooting, Calls for Immediate Action on Gun Safety in Wisconsin - State Sen. Melissa Agard - Mar 23rd, 2021
Read more about Gun Violence here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by State Sen. Lena Taylor