The Jewett & Sherman Merchants’ Mills building is one of the oldest buildings in Milwaukee’s Historic Third Ward. The building was constructed in 1875. The building was restored in 1979. It is a part of the historic “Commission Row” that is central to the Third Ward’s identity.
Jewett and Sherman was once a prominent manufacturer of coffee and spices.
The building was renamed the Product Exchange Building for a portion of its existence. In 1977, it was purchased and extensive remodeling was done before a five-alarm in 1979. Restoration began again after the fire.
The building is often incorrectly referred to as the Merchant Mills Building. A report from 1892 and another from 1896 reference it as The Merchants’ Mills, of the Jewett & Sherman Co. The name is derived from the company’s Merchants Coffee and Spice Mills located at the site.
In early 2014, Colectivo Coffee opened in the form Third Ward Caffe space.
- The Wicked Hop – Present
- Third Ward Caffe (225 E. St. Paul Ave) – Randy and Jane Nelson – 1982 – January 2013
- Colectivo Coffee (225 E. St. Paul Ave) – 2014
- The Business Journal – “Alterra Coffee Plans 3rd Ward Location” – Stacy Vogel Davis – January 18th, 2013
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel – “Third Ward Caffe closed” – Carol Deptolla – January 10th, 2013
- The Milwaukee Journal – “Third Ward Caffe seeks reorgnization” – December 4th, 1984
- The Milwaukee Journal – “Uptown, downtown?” – May 8th, 1983
- Milwaukee Public Library Digital Collection Photo – “Merchant Mills Building on E. St. Paul Street“
- Milwaukee Public Library Digital Collection Photo – “M. D’Amore and Sons Co.” – March 30th, 1937
- Milwaukee, a half century’s progress, 1846-1896: a review of the Cream City’s wonderful growth and development from incorporation until the present time – 1896
- Milwaukee’s Great Industries: A Compilation of Facts Concerning Milwaukee’s Commercial and Manufacturing Enterprises, Its Trade and Commerce, and the Advantages it Offers to Manufacturers Seeking Desirable Locations for New Or Established Industries – 1892
ROW Occupancy Permit.